Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium 6MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded to an STI sway bar in the rear not too long after I got the Outback and was wanting to do the front too. Is there any place to get a front sway bar for a 2011 Outback?

·
Registered
'12 OB 2.5i/CVT Premium
18 Posts
I was changing my oil yesterday and was noticing what appeared to be a comparably beefy front sway bar just below the oil pan. I think that if you were to upgrade the front, it'd be a considerably thicker bar and you may not want that per se.

Cusco makes one; it's a 25mm.

I had an EF Honda CRX and had a Cusco front lower tie bar and it was definitely a quality part, for what it's worth.

The front strut brace (GTSpec makes a nice one, as referenced in this forum multiple times...) may be a better alternative for the Outback.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,646 Posts
I dunno what might swap from another soob, but you could check boxer4racing and primitive racing.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I was changing my oil yesterday and was noticing what appeared to be a comparably beefy front sway bar just below the oil pan. I think that if you were to upgrade the front, it'd be a considerably thicker bar and you may not want that per se.

Cusco makes one; it's a 25mm.

I had an EF Honda CRX and had a Cusco front lower tie bar and it was definitely a quality part, for what it's worth.

The front strut brace (GTSpec makes a nice one, as referenced in this forum multiple times...) may be a better alternative for the Outback.

So does the Cusco 25mm for the Legacy GT fit the Outback? I know many suspension parts are interchangeable. Cost is about $300, found it online.

Also can the end-links and attachment points handle such a big bar w/o bending? ...Wondering :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'12 OB 2.5i/CVT Premium
18 Posts
As long as it's for a 2010+ Legacy GT, I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

Also, the stock bar is significantly thicker in the front than the back. I haven't measured it, but I'd guess that the front is somewhere around 21mm already.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium 6MT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to bump this back to the top and hopefully get some more opinions. Can anybody confirm that the Legacy GT swaybar would fit?

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Ltd PZEV w/ Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica
231 Posts
I too am a little interested in fitment.. I checked subaruonlineparts and they show the Legacy has a part# D23 while the OB shows a D24. Can I guess that the 23-24 maybe denote the diameter.. (23-24mm) I suppose I could always get a caliper out and crawl up under.

I have seen other vendors that have front swaybars listed for the LGT in 24-26mm diameters.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
The 2013 Outback and Legacy now are 26mm, I would just get that bar and any appropriate bushings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Any reason why you would do this? The 19mm rear bar corrects an understeer condition. A bigger front bar would move you back to understeer.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
Any reason why you would do this? The 19mm rear bar corrects an understeer condition. A bigger front bar would move you back to understeer.
Tue, but most people seem to do this upgrade to reduce leaning - not understeer. Stiffening up the front will further reduce lean and bring you back near the original understeer condition. I doubt most people even reach the limits where understeer is an issue.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,646 Posts

^^^ this is my understanding as well.

I would only upgrade the front after a serious upgrade to the rear AS (he already has a rear STI bar) or the car will plow more - or the front will break loose more easily. In fact, I might not upgrade front AS until after a spring upgrade. Just depends on what you're doing with the car I guess.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the 2 sway bars appear to be shaped to fit depending on if its the H4 or H6 motor.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The 2013 front sway bar is increased from 24 to 26mm.
However I agree with earlier post that it may cause more understeer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just to catch up.. the theory is upgrading the 24 to 26mm in front in conjunction with the already 16 to 19mm upgrade in back might create more understeer?

So it's safe to say that the '13 have a whole lot more going on in the suspension to reduce roll.. Either that or '13 maybe have an understeer issue?

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I put the 19mm on my 13 and it feels great! I could tell the front was stiffer than the rear roll wise pushing it stock but now they're locked in together. If you're up for the work I'd put the 26 on a 10-12. The front is just a lot more work though.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just to catch up.. the theory is upgrading the 24 to 26mm in front in conjunction with the already 16 to 19mm upgrade in back might create more understeer?

So it's safe to say that the '13 have a whole lot more going on in the suspension to reduce roll.. Either that or '13 maybe have an understeer issue?
13 does not have stock 19mm RSB. They made several changes including changing rear spring rates, so it's a whole different ball game.

I for one am willing to try a 26mm 13 front bar on my 12 to see how it drives...

Remember: "understeer scares drivers, oversteer scares passengers"

·
Registered
2.5i 2010 outback, 6 speed mt, silver, black inside
21 Posts
the 2 sway bars appear to be shaped to fit depending on if its the H4 or H6 motor.
yes line item 29 is for H4 and line item 30 is for H6. There is no specs on in the book about the FSB just shows what I posted

1 - 18 of 18 Posts