Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5xt Limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, just happened to notice the tie rod boot is ripped. (that's what that is, correct?) and, while I haven't felt anything super wrong with the steering, I probably just need to go get a new set, correct? and do both sides?

Should I get the whole thing, or just the 'inner tie rod' and do those usually come with a boot?

Does anyone have strong feelings about brand of replacement part? if so, please let me know where to get all this.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper

·
Registered
'98 Outback
284 Posts
It's the rack and pinion bellows, this part. If the other side passes inspection, I wouldn't bother replacing it. I'd carefully check the rest of the steering gear though, including struts, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. If you replace anything, you'll need an alignment.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
382 Posts
You can get (just) steering rack boots. If you have any fluid in your boot now, the rack is leaking and will need a replacement. Replacements come with boots and inner tie rods.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the rack and pinion bellows, this part. If the other side passes inspection, I wouldn't bother replacing it. I'd carefully check the rest of the steering gear though, including struts, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. If you replace anything, you'll need an alignment.
Thanks for this. I don't FEEL anything wrong with anything else, but given that the tie rods have to come off to replace this boot/bellows, does it make sense to just get new tie rod ends at this point as well? on one hand, I'd like to be proactive, but I also don't want to mess with anything if it's working.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get (just) steering rack boots. If you have any fluid in your boot now, the rack is leaking and will need a replacement. Replacements come with boots and inner tie rods.
a replacement of 'the rack and pinion' + boot? like this? seems like if the tie rod is off, I should just do the whole thing, right? $60 for both complete seems like an easy choice...

·
Registered
382 Posts
If the inners aren't bad, don't replace them. Just slide on the boot. Radiator (worm gear) clamps are fine for securing the large end of the boot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The inners will require a special tool to remove. Then you have to set the anti-"unscrew" device. I have no idea what that device looks like without the part in hand.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a follow up here - shop says I need a new rack and pinion. yay.

·
Registered
382 Posts
just a follow up here - shop says I need a new rack and pinion. yay.
In that case, it sounds like the rack seals are shot. Have the shop replace the rack. This will come with new inner tie rods. Might as well spend the extra few buck to have the outters replaced too. Alignment is a must.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,566 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts