Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

ok so i have a 2000 subaru outback sedan limited. and im looking into getting upgraded sway bars from whiteline maybe. my question is with the subaru outbacks typical (at least IMO) understeer. should i get a smaller sway bar up front and a larger in back vise versa or same size? im not entirely sure i know how all of that works.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
514 Posts
The car was engineered with a larger sway bar in front and a smaller one in the rear.

If you change the OEM configuration drastically, you may end up making the car handle worse under certain conditions than it does now. If, during your experimentation of changing major suspension and steering components results in a collision - injuring or killing someone, would you then come back here and tell us that what we told you resulted in a catastrophe?:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was engineered with a larger sway bar in front and a smaller one in the rear.

If you change the OEM configuration drastically, you may end up making the car handle worse under certain conditions than it does now. If, during your experimentation of changing major suspension and steering components results in a collision - injuring or killing someone, would you then come back here and tell us that what we told you resulted in a catastrophe?:confused:
haha no im just curious, i know upgrading sway bars, strut mounts, struts, and springs, will turn the car into a whole different driving experience, ive been told it improves handling alot.

what if both front and rear were the same size?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would say the car will handle better if you increase the rear size, the factory OEM one is a bit chincy I think. You can nearly bend the thing with your bare hands!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say the car will handle better if you increase the rear size, the factory OEM one is a bit chincy I think. You can nearly bend the thing with your bare hands!
any idea wat oem sizes are for front and back i think whiteline had something that was 20mm not sure if that was front or back??? i would have to look again.

oh heres one on boxer4racing :
Whiteline 20mm Adj. Rear Sway Bar Legacy 00-04

·
Registered
514 Posts
I replaced all the bushings in both the front and rear stabilizer bars, so I should have the size, in mm, here, on some paperwork, somewhere with my hundreds of things I purchased to do the big one-month job on the car two months ago.

Unless someone else knows this off-hand!

I will try to find the receipt for the bushings I ordered online.

I did find that hard red plastic bushings lasted just several months before they were loose and making knocking noises, the rubber OEM ones last a year or two before they need replacing. I thought the red ones, being "high-performance" would be better. I suppose they are a bit stiffer, but they wear faster. :(:17:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Has anyone used the yellow polyurethane sway bar bushings Whiteline makes?

·
Registered
514 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Saint J VT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing