Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realized my front washer motor was not working ( among other things on my new purchase). When I push the button I hear the motor working and a stream of wiper fluid out right behind the front left tire where the wheel well liner meets the body. Any advice on how to fix? Is it just pulling the wheel well liner off and replacing a hose? I was a bit overwhelmed with how engineered even this setup was. I’m glad the pump isn’t bad. It’s at 06 with 80k miles. So far it’s just the sunroof that has me worried.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,213 Posts
Have someone operate the washer while you observe; if you follow the tubing path, you'll see the leak. And repair shouldn't involve any removal of fender skirts or similar; it's all in the engine bay for the front system. Any good parts store will sell the tubing by the foot, although there are a couple different diameters. Just take them the offending piece, and they'll match it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have someone operate the washer while you observe; if you follow the tubing path, you'll see the leak. And repair shouldn't involve any removal of fender skirts or similar; it's all in the engine bay for the front system. Any good parts store will sell the tubing by the foot, although there are a couple different diameters. Just take them the offending piece, and they'll match it.
I ran it from the open drivers window. It seems to start leaking right at the peak of the wheel well. How can I reach that hose? All from above?

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
Probably is the driver's side spray jet, or the hose up to it. Look particularly at the hinge on the hood where the hose is routed; there is wear at that point. 2008 service manual page is below:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably is the driver's side spray jet, or the hose up to it. Look particularly at the hinge on the hood where the hose is routed; there is wear at that point. 2008 service manual page is below:
View attachment 518757
No fluid comes out of any jet. I’ve checked the hoses that I can see all the way up to the area where they enter the area at the hood hinge. But you are saying the hose that runs from the hinge to the washer motor is accessible from the engine area? Sorry. New to Subaru but been working on cars for decades.

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
OK, you're right - I just looked at my 2008; image below. Feed hose to hinge indeed comes out of fender area.

What happens if you disconnect the "L" shaped piece and run the washer, does anything come out there?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already tried all that. NOTHING comes out of the hood area. I have verified ( by taking off hoses you already mentioned) and am farther into the diagnosis. The leak is at the top of the fender well. I hear it and feel like liquid running out. All I need to know is do I need to take off the fender well liner. I would think so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the hose disappears into the hood hinge area, where does it go? It seems to make a return to the pump through the fender well. Can anyone see the hose return from the engine bay. I’ll just have to pop off the wheel well liner and hopefully it’s a generic hose I can change and not a broken fitting. I’ve been ordering way too many little oem parts lately.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Not uncommon for the hoses from the front and rear pumps under the left front fender to harden and crack. There's threads here about it, some with good photos of the area. (Wish I could find them again!)

Access to the reservoir with the attached pumps is by removing the front bumper cover. Might also be helpful to remove the wheel well liner as the front hose runs inside the fender, from the reservoir at the lower front to where it comes out near the windshield, as shown in @johnre 's photo above.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not uncommon for the hoses from the front and rear pumps under the left front fender to harden and crack. There's threads here about it, some with good photos of the area. (Wish I could find them again!)

Access to the reservoir with the attached pumps is by removing the front bumper cover. Might also be helpful to remove the wheel well liner as the front hose runs inside the fender, from the reservoir at the lower front to where it comes out near the windshield, as shown in @johnre 's photo above.
Yea. I hope I just need to take off the wheel well liner. I can feel the wiper fluid hitting the top of the liner and running down the back side. I will snap a pic of where it’s broken.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,226 Posts
Mine did that. Run a new hose. Don't worry about trying to use the factory route. Its too difficult. I ran mine from pump to drivers rear hood corner inside engine compartment. At drivers rear hood corner you have to do a 180 degree turn to the washer squirters. I connected 2 90 degree hose adapters so it would not kink.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine did that. Run a new hose. Don't worry about trying to use the factory route. Its too difficult. I ran mine from pump to drivers rear hood corner inside engine compartment. At drivers rear hood corner you have to do a 180 degree turn to the washer squirters. I connected 2 90 degree hose adapters so it would not kink.
Might be what I do. Did you have to take off the wheel well liner?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the tire and wheel well liner out of the way. Looks like just a broken connection that was at a tee. I can replace with similar hose and put a tee in. Snapped some pics. I don’t think clear tubing is oem. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,226 Posts
The pumps are both attached to washer tank. Its under battery. I did mine when i had the front bumper cover off last time i removed headlamps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This guy was right. The old hose kept coming apart in my hands. Tried to splice it. And it split. So I pulled that hose out and ran a new one to the splitter on the hood.

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5L
78 Posts
I had a similar issue. The tube had deteriorated and cracked, so I replaced a section with standard rubber hose, using some of those little plastic barb fittings from the FLAPS. I cut the old one as far back as it would go and not fall apart when sticking a fitting in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts