Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
What year/make Suby? Some can't do that, some can. And if your's can, fill us in on what the manual states. Just a fuse, or anything else to do it. Brian

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think only automatic-transmission equipped Subies can do this, due to the viscous fluid coupling found in the manual-tranny ones, correct?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my subie is

98' legacy outback automatic, the manual just states that you change this one fuse. And that you can tow it this way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Heard all about this before, the fuse location is apparently under the hood over the driver-side wheel well. Looks like a black plastic box, possibly even labeled FUSE BOX. At least for the late models (maybe). I haven't looked in there yet but I figure it has several different fuses. Not sure why there's also that set under the dash then.

I just can't imagine it would be any good. Still must drag along all the drivetrain anyhow, regardless of it being powered or not. I bet if there is a difference in MPG it might only be slight. Thought I also read someplace it isn't good to drive it that way a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don't think you'd get much benefit from doing this as the car is probably being a 90% FWD almost all the time. That's why the fuel economy on the current 2.5L with AT is so much better than the 3.0R AT as the 3.0R drives all four wheels all the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I'm not sure about how it works or the benefits, but I'm positive about the location of the fuse:

It's not actually in this picture, but it's close. Basically it's right in front of the passenger side wiper motor, in the engine bay. Look towards the upper left of this picture, see the green electrical taped box? It's just north of that, attached to the top of the firewall. Mine is marked in big white letters FWD...kinda hard to miss. The way I understand it is you just stick the appropriate size fuse inside there and you're now running full-time FWD.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I should have known mine would be vastly different in location. Took a look tonight and surprised to find one 80 Amp fuse in the box, couple 50 Amps, 30 Amps. Never seen anything more than 20 or 25 Amp before.

Does need a fuse added though. I believe 15 Amp is what the OM says. This is a Impreza Outback Sport here, not Legacy Outback.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I recall correctly, Subaru moved that fuse location when they did the '99 to '00 redesign on the Outback/Legacy line. I worked on a '98 a very long time ago and saw the fuse by the front right shock tower... and it's not in the same place on the '02s.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The FWD mode is only for when you are using the spare tire due to its different dimensions. It's not for towing the car.
It's also for disengaging the rear wheels to prevent the transmission from overheating and blowing fluid out the vents, not to mention to save your tranny clutches, when some idiota put the wrong size tires on the back before you bought it....... FWD works great for temporary reasons, but due to the strain it puts on the front drive train (that extra 10%) I wouldn't do it full time. Just my 10cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
scoobythesubie
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing