Subaru Outback Forums banner

Front wheel stud replacement

23K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  number9 
#1 ·
I apologize if this has been posted before (I searched wheel lug / wheel stud)

Hello everyone:

I have one front wheel stud that has sheared off, and another one that will need to be sheared in order to get the wheel off.

I can go get new studs at the local O'Reillys right now, but my main question is regarding the ability to press out the bad studs.

I would like to smack them with a heavy duty hammer to press them out, but I am not sure about the clearance on the back side. Can I remove and replace the studs without removing the hub assembly?

If anyone has some insight on this I would greatly appreciate the help! This is the only issue with my car (205k miles) as she has been very good to me.

Thank you in advance for any help I can get!

-Mike

#2 ·
I put a old socket that I never use around the stud, that was big enough width wise, but long enough just to leave a tad left, and gave her a good wrap. Then light pounds with a normal hammer. There is a space that all you have to do is remove the rotor. You have to do one, then move the hub over so that the next lug fits in the space, otherwise you'll never get it fully out.

#3 ·
So I recently snapped off one of the studs from the front driver side of my 07 Outback LL Bean and after a 3rd attempt to replace it I was given a stud that was slightly larger (1/8") than the stud that came out. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've tried AutoZone, Advance and the Subaru dealership so far. Any ideas?

#4 ·
1. order it from Subaru
2. order it from another Subaru dealer
3. if they're not available because they're part of the newer style bolt-on wheel bearing assembly (which I know your rears are) - then you should have found that out in step #1 or #2.
4. find the part number on subaru's online opposedforces website
5. take the old stud with you to compare before you buy one.

they tap right out.

you can readily drive indefinitely with 3 lug studs - so you'll be fine with 4.

#5 ·
I just did all 5 in the front and they were super easy.
One shop wanted to charge $1500-$200 for parts and labor.

Ridiculous, so I called up my local subaru shop and they had them in stock.
Within an hour I had the wheel off, old studs out and the new ones in and
back out of the garage. Total parts cost was $30 & hour of my time for all 5 on the front.

#6 ·
DO NOT use a stud that is too long. triple check that you have true OEM equivalent studs and nuts - and that the rotor is the OEM thickness over the hub, and any aftermarket rim is 'stock' thickness.

any changes to the dimensions above could mean either the nut bottoms on the stud, or not enough threads are engaged.

#8 ·
You can get old studs out with a BFH. Some people screw a lug nut on backwards to the lug nut to give you something to aim at, which makes it a little bit easier.

When installing new studs, do not install them with a BFH. Either have them pressed in (which you can't do with the hub on the car), or use a couple of nuts to "draw" the studs in as you tighten the nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.