Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,289 Posts
Aerodynamics
Not a guess, actual reality.

Thanks for playing 'Ask the Subaru guy'.

:ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, you know those little notch looking things on top of the wheel arch moldings? They're present not for aesthetics, but are just like these holes in the wheel wells, they're present for better aerodynamics. Minor details, and probably really not needed on the regular Outback or Legacy. On the Outback XT or Legacy XT - which now have sustained top speeds of well in excess of 100 mph, courtesy of the go-fast turbo ... needed.

One key thing to keep in mind - our cars specifically are ALWAYS designed with aviation type aerodynamics in mind. We can't help it, it's a major part of our heritage that we still embrace. (That's why we have airplane wings on the grilles of almost everything we make, just for your own trivia education.) And allowing better air flow through the wheel wells and yes, some brake cooling, allows for at least a slight improvement in the aerodynamics of the whole car. It's not much, it doesn't have to be much.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Straight Felis Cattus - just the Savannah breed (mixed domestic with African Serval, more of the former than the latter in our case). Think "cat on steroids". Behaviorally more than a bit different than most cats, however. He watches the actions of humans and imitates them, which, combined with about 3X more strength and dexterity in his paws than a standard house cat, leads to some interesting behavior - such as what you see in my avatar.
Strength, grace and intelligence. Quite the cat's meow! Thanks for sharing your beautiful animal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Put closed cell foam in it. Keep most of the crap out and you can pull it out every once in a while to clean.

We do it on mountain bike suspensions all the time to keep rocks and crud out of certain area of the frame.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

In all seriousness, you know those little notch looking things on top of the wheel arch moldings? They're present not for aesthetics, but are just like these holes in the wheel wells, they're present for better aerodynamics. Minor details, and probably really not needed on the regular Outback or Legacy. On the Outback XT or Legacy XT - which now have sustained top speeds of well in excess of 100 mph, courtesy of the go-fast turbo ... needed.

One key thing to keep in mind - our cars specifically are ALWAYS designed with aviation type aerodynamics in mind. We can't help it, it's a major part of our heritage that we still embrace. (That's why we have airplane wings on the grilles of almost everything we make, just for your own trivia education.) And allowing better air flow through the wheel wells and yes, some brake cooling, allows for at least a slight improvement in the aerodynamics of the whole car. It's not much, it doesn't have to be much.
Well there ya go! Anything that saves gas milage and helps me get a speeding ticket then I'm all for it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,731 Posts

Thank you, I was wondering what those notches on the wheel arches were for.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,001 Posts
Let's examine this concept:
  • Subaru designs a soft off road vehicle with 8" of ground clearance.
  • Then they put a turbo on it.
  • And as a result it goes fast enough that they have to then worry about the aerodynamics around the fender wells.
  • But they ignore the fact that there is an 8" space underneath, full width and length of the vehicle, that is undammed. And it's anything but smooth surfaced.
Have I got that right?

Seems to be a case of rather miss-placed priorities. If they wanted aerodynamic efficiency in this design, they should have started with the bulky roof racks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,731 Posts
Let's examine this concept:
  • Subaru designs a soft off road vehicle with 8" of ground clearance.
  • Then they put a turbo on it.
  • And as a result it goes fast enough that they have to then worry about the aerodynamics around the fender wells.
  • But they ignore the fact that there is an 8" space underneath, full width and length of the vehicle, that is undammed. And it's anything but smooth surfaced.
Have I got that right?

Seems to be a case of rather miss-placed priorities. If they wanted aerodynamic efficiency in this design, they should have started with the bulky roof racks.
Aerodynamics is not just about fuel efficiency, could also be about wind noise or along with the holes in the liner, direct air at a particular spot like the brakes.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,001 Posts
Aerodynamics is not just about fuel efficiency, could also be about wind noise or along with the holes in the liner, direct air at a particular spot like the brakes.
I wasn't thinking about efficiency, but of performance - based on Carl's statement about "... sustained top speeds of well in excess of 100 mph ....". And yeah, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek and poking fun at what would appear to be Subaru's miss-placed priorities within their design teams.

But your point is well taken.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight
243 Posts
I get the undammed part but with the plastic under body coverings, at least on my 2016, it is quite smooth down there. Far better than my previous vehicles. :) YMMV

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited with #2 package in Crystal White Pearl
17 Posts
I'm going with they are attachment points for a front end Bra that could be added.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited, 2.5...bought used with just under 13,000 miles on the clock-
3 Posts
Don’t be hanging things on that! Then, Subaru will have to put a warning in the owner’s manual about not hanging stuff in there.... and then we’ll have to argue about the merits of hanging stuff in there vs warranty claims. Just sayin.
And then after some lawyer collects her/his 33 1/3 percent Subaru will send us a sticker that reads,"Do not hang anything here"

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,876 Posts
And then after some lawyer collects her/his 33 1/3 percent Subaru will send us a sticker that reads,"Do not hang anything here"
another page added to the manual with warnings about all the potential things someone might do with this. 😒

41 - 52 of 52 Posts