Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1990 AWD Legacy wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm totally clueless about mechanic and I'm not english speaker so please be tolerant :D.
I'm in Alaska, I drive a Sub legacy AWD 1990 with about 170000 miles.

Since last week, while driving, the wheels move violently to the right. The steering wheel move to about 10 degrees to the right. It's really quick and it happened usually with a small sound. Then It comes back to normal withing a second.

Sometimes it happens in a smaller amplitude just few millimeter that I can feel in the steering wheel.

It is pretty dangerous since the road here are basically covered with ice.

Any clue on what is going on?

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
First, i'd think that alignment and or tie rods What Is A Tie Rod : How Car Stuff Works

Possibly alignment.

Did anything happen like going into a snowbank or extreme off roading or getting towed out by somone who's not a professional tow truck driver?

I'm in Anchorage, btw:D

·
Registered
1990 AWD Legacy wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, i'd think that alignment and or tie rods What Is A Tie Rod : How Car Stuff Works

Possibly alignment.

Did anything happen like going into a snowbank or extreme off roading or getting towed out by somone who's not a professional tow truck driver?

I'm in Anchorage, btw:D
Well you know the road here in Alaska, we drive over some snow drift in our driveway almost every day so....
Is that expensive to fix? I mean we drive a 1990 subaru it tells a lot about how much we are able to put to repair a car :D

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
I would immediately check all the lugnuts and wheel studs.

if you post your city, maybe (or hopefully, given your location) someone could suggest a shop to take it to.

if you are not a mechanic, it does seem you need one.

·
Registered
1990 AWD Legacy wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would immediately check all the lugnuts and wheel studs.

if you post your city, maybe (or hopefully, given your location) someone could suggest a shop to take it to.

if you are not a mechanic, it does seem you need one.
I live in Fairbanks, sorry I didn't think about that
Thanks for your answer

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
you need to grab the tie rods right now and yank on them - do they move, clunk or have play? it takes like 15 seconds to do that. google tie rods for a legacy if you don't know what they are - grab the tie rod on each side and yank on it. let us know what happens.

this happens at any speed? flat, uphill, hitting bumps, doesn't matter?

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
^^^yeah, and is it more/less likely to happen when you're turning? does the car make any whining, groaning, clunking noises?

I wouldn't overlook some oddness with a broken/failing axle also.

either way, this is a serious safety hazard and likely would end badly to extremely badly if ignored.

·
Registered
1990 AWD Legacy wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I did'nt find a patern, it seems to happen randomely. There is a sound when it does it really strongly otherwise not.
I didn't feel it yet at other speed than full speed (55mph) and it can happened 5 times in one minute and not doing it for 10 minutes. That is weird!
I yanked the tie rods, they don't move at all. One of them while yanked really hard make a little noise but that is it.
Is it the axle then? (that sounds like an expensive suregery :D)

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,293 Posts
Severe wheel movement is generally loose components. Tie rod, ball joint, lower control arm bushings. Does it change when braking? Pull the other way or straighten out?

Tire pressure could also be an issue.

In first photo, check numbers 1 and 2 on both sides of the car. In second photo, check numbers 3, 4 and 5 both sides. What ever you find loose needs to be replaced and then the car will need a 4 wheel alignment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
are all 4 tires the same model and close to the same amount of wear?

·
Registered
1990 AWD Legacy wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your help.
After checking everything you told me with a friend who knows a bit more than me, we founded nothing.
The day after the car didn't do it anymore. I went to a garage and ask for a steering check, they didn't find anything neither.
The guys think that some ice might have been stuck in the break and would explain the violent pull of. I'm not convinced since it didn't happened while breaking but well, at least it doesnt do it anymore.
Since everything seems fine around the axle it seems we are safe to drive it, maybe the problem come from the steering wheel, will see.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,293 Posts
Ice? I don't remember ice. Course, you are in Fairbanks. Duh. Could have been stuck to the rim throwing it out of balance..

·
Registered
2013 limited Outback 2.5i, pzev, rear seat protectors, Venetian red pearl, all weather floor mats, rear cargo net, viper remote start, puddle lights, body side molding,
39 Posts
Severe wheel movement is generally loose components. Tie rod, ball joint, lower control arm bushings. Does it change when braking? Pull the other way or straighten out?

Tire pressure could also be an issue.

In first photo, check numbers 1 and 2 on both sides of the car. In second photo, check numbers 3, 4 and 5 both sides. What ever you find loose needs to be replaced and then the car will need a 4 wheel alignment.
:29: Is there a way to thumbs-up someone here or a "like" button? AWESOME post and way to help out :)

·
Registered
1990 AWD Legacy wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually it does it again and a lot!
It didn't do it for 2 days then suddenly it did it all the time, weird.
When the problem is active, if I break it makes it happened everytime. It stopped doing when we arrived in town and then even while breaking it didn't do it.
I tried to turn the wheels all the way to the left and all the way to the right and it made it stopped for a while.
There is an heavy sound when it happened, located around my feet but it's hard to say.
Anyway since my axles are ok and everything has been checked I wonder what the heck happened to this car!

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
I'm just going to throw some ideas out here...

Does this car have anti-lock brakes? I'm not sure when Subaru started making ABS an option. If it does, you may have a bad wheel sensor.

How do your coil springs look in the front? If the bottom tip of the spring has broken off, it may shift in the spring perch and possibly cause a problem like this.

I agree with the previous comments. You need to avoid driving this car as much as possible until you find the problem.

:) Also, quick English lesson: Break and Brake. Pronounced the same, but mean two different things.

Break "If you press too hard, a pencil will break". "Don't break the eggs."

Brake "My car needs new brake pads". "Press the brake pedal to stop."

·
Registered
1990 AWD Legacy wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just going to throw some ideas out here...

Does this car have anti-lock brakes? I'm not sure when Subaru started making ABS an option. If it does, you may have a bad wheel sensor.

How do your coil springs look in the front? If the bottom tip of the spring has broken off, it may shift in the spring perch and possibly cause a problem like this.

I agree with the previous comments. You need to avoid driving this car as much as possible until you find the problem.

:) Also, quick English lesson: Break and Brake. Pronounced the same, but mean two different things.

Break "If you press too hard, a pencil will break". "Don't break the eggs."

Brake "My car needs new brake pads". "Press the brake pedal to stop."
Sorry for that :D!
I have ABS which is doing some weird noise but working (living in Alaska you notice pretty quickly if it's working or not).
The Coil springs are good.
It does it as well while driving normally without braking.
The sound is really weird and sound like someone banging a hammer where the steering wheel join the axle (feel like it but hard to say when you don't know anything about mechanic)

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
When ABS is activated, it will make a weird "vibrating" noise. Perfectly normal.

I'm running out of ideas, so I'll throw some more out there.

Worn steering rack mounts? Worn passenger side strut mount? Binding CV joint in the axle? Malfunctioning front differential?

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
I recall some older soobs had a problem with the ABS pump buzzing all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts