Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (00 Outback Waggon) front window washer has suddenly quit pumping wash fluid onto the window. The wipers still activate. I checked the fuses but have no idea which one is on the window washer circuit. Any ideas?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Hello, first thing to check is the connector under the hood on the pump which is on the reservoir for the fluid. Make sure that connection is good. Then maybe check for power going to that connection, maybe the pump went out. The last thing will be the most expensive...the switch on the steering column. A lot of small wires in those plastic tubes we use as levers. Good luck. Brian

·
Registered
78 Posts
Also double check that the pump is making or not making noise when applied. I have had the same problem on 3 different vehicles and everytime is was a hose that came loose squirting fluid into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
finally, there's the possibility that the squirter nozzles have gotten blocked or crudded up. not as common there days, but i have seen it before, esp if you have hard water and use a water/solvent mix in washer.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
*G* on my sister's 1970 Audi Super 90, the windshield wiper control knob on the dash was also a rubber bulb with windshield fluid in it - you mashed the knob to squeeze water onto the windshield.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
those wacky germans.....!!!

in the old VW bus, they used a pressure tank for the washer fluid that you pressurized with service station air hose, and then when you hit the lever, it opened a valve and let the goop flow. worked REALLY well.....:D until the pressure leaked out or 15 minutes later, whichever comes first.

not one of their better ideas....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Front windshield washer quit pumping

bheinz57 said:
Hello, first thing to check is the connector under the hood on the pump which is on the reservoir for the fluid. Make sure that connection is good. Then maybe check for power going to that connection, maybe the pump went out. The last thing will be the most expensive...the switch on the steering column. A lot of small wires in those plastic tubes we use as levers. Good luck. Brian
Hey all,

I am the new owner of a 2001 5 speed Outback. So far I am very happy but the Front windshield washer will not pump. After searching through the archives here and elsewhere, I have not found an answer. I have checked the fuse and motor and they are still good but there is no voltage at the connector when the Stalk is pulled. The rear circuit also still works fine.

Is this a known problem or a one off? My next step is to start checking back up the wiring loom to the switch on the steering wheel but that does not look like fun.

Any suggestions?

Once I get a couple of the little problems cleared up I will likely start looking into lowering and handling projects. (I couldn't find a reasonably priced GT without a couple of hundred K miles on them) Time will tell.

Thanks,

Mike
Dublin, CA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
TeamFCAR
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing