Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It hardly rains in Vegas, so I don't use my wipers often. Yesterday I noticed my left wiper stopped about 5 inches short of the end of the windshield, and also noticed the wipers were going a bit slow. As I started driving the wipers starting going noticeably faster, and the faster i went the closer it would get to the edge, to the point where when I was on the freeway the wipers were going all the way to the edge of the windshield. Then when I'd slow down they would start stopping again at the 5 inch mark and slow down. They also hit hard at the bottom of the windshield.

I know there's a bit of play in the after, I can move the wipers a bit. But why would they start going noticeably faster the faster I drove?

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,110 Posts
There are several threads about the bushings in the control arms wearing out in the older Outbacks, and there is a recall for the 2010-2011 model wiper systems. What year is your Outback?

·
Registered
01 Outback VDC 3.0
85 Posts
I just went through this on my 01 VDC. It is a low mileage (had 110K when bought) I thought they were out out adjustment as the drivers wiper was smacking the trim on the upstroke and I was afaid the arm was about to break and or scratch the roof pillar paint from over travelling. I found considerable slop at the driver arm and thought it was a loose nut. It turned out to be worn splines on the wiper arm which explained the erratic operation. I swapped in the arm from my old 01 Outback and rigged the wipers properly and solved the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts