Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Brown 2008 2 5I standard
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a front end 5 to 10 MPH collision with my brown 08 Outback 2 5I manual transmission w 80K miles. Air bags were
deployed, hood bent up and the car was taken to the total loss lot. The value of an 08 should be around 10K the damages can't be over 10K, so I should be able to repair it. I am told by Subaru collision shop, it can be repaired to original specs. Is there any reasons not to repair the car? Or a way of working with the INS co. to avoid a hit to my finances?
As for the hit to the car: It snowed in SLC, UT on the 9th and I found out all wheel drive does not respond the same a Honda front wheel drive. thank you

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Total loss is a percentage of actual cash value. Depends on the insurance company but I think something like 60% of ACV will total it. Front end damage and bag deployment can run the bill to $6,000 and beyond.
All wheel drive has nothing to do with braking to avoid a collision.
Hit to finances? You mean you are upside down on your loan?

·
Registered
Brown 2008 2 5I standard
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Total loss is a percentage of actual cash value. Depends on the insurance company but I think something like 60% of ACV will total it. Front end damage and bag deployment can run the bill to $6,000 and beyond.
All wheel drive has nothing to do with braking to avoid a collision.
Hit to finances? You mean you are upside down on your loan?
Hello upflying -the loan is good, almost paid off, this year. Hit to my finances is getting wholesale with depreciation for my retail purchase. About the snow driving:
It was not a braking issue, (don't use brakes in snow) more how the cars ABS seem to make the tuning different. My 1985 Honda accord would have made the turn. thank you

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.6 CVT Limited
11 Posts
Sorry about your accident. I think your insurance company should reimburse you based on retail or replacement cost. Maybe you can negotiate for a more realistic settlement.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Sorry about your accident. I think your insurance company should reimburse you based on retail or replacement cost. Maybe you can negotiate for a more realistic settlement.
X2, insurance companies have arbitrators that decide if you don't agree with the offer. Don't sign anything until you are satisfied.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Sounds like off-throttle understeer. Classic outback problem. You're headed into a turn, not sure if you're going too fast or not, back off the throttle but don't touch the brakes, turn in aaaand slide straight ahead into obstacle.

But if you goose the accelerator a bit, the front wheels bite in and pull the car perfectly through the turn. Counterintuitive to many, but it's how they were built to be driven.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
You already made this thread. Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic.

Thread closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.