Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My girlfriend has a 2001 outback 2.5 automatic. It threw a check engine light on her a few days ago, it was blinking too which i know is bad, She continued to drive it to her place. I scanned it and it came up as P0302, cylinder 2 misfire. Today I have changed all the spark plugs, gapped them all at .035, torqued them in the hole, changed all the plug wires, all are hooked up correctly and it STILL runs like its mis firing! There is no check engine light on now, but it still runs like it did before. I cleaned the IAC valve too. The battery was disconnected during all this so I thought it would have reset itself. Any ideas? Should I have blown out cylinder 2 with the air compressor since it might be flooded with gas? I really need to get this car running for her again! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NGK "G-power" plugs were used, and Federated auto parts wires were used. I knew the plugs needed to be specific but didn't know about wires needing to be specific.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
Possible failing coil pack? I don't know too much about the 2.5 and my 3.0 is a coil on plug system.

-Tim

·
Registered
2000 Outback 5MT
425 Posts
Misfires are difficult just because there are quite a few things that can cause. I might suggest a new fuel filter and injector cleaner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll call Subaru and see if they have a wire set, start there I guess. Are these cars really that picky with wires?

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
I'll call Subaru and see if they have a wire set, start there I guess. Are these cars really that picky with wires?

Picky with plugs. OB's need the NGK Iridium. The car prefers oem stuff, so check the gauge of your Federated vs. stock. Mine is a H6...individual coil for each cyl. How many miles on the car? When was timing belt last changed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picky with plugs. OB's need the NGK Iridium. The car prefers oem stuff, so check the gauge of your Federated vs. stock. Mine is a H6...individual coil for each cyl. How many miles on the car? When was timing belt last changed?
OK, I've got new wires from the dealer. The plugs are platinum alloy, the same that were in it when it wasrunning good. Should I get the Iridium plugs? I'm gonna grab a quick bite to eat and put them in and report back. it has 145,000 on it and I believe the timing belt, water pump, etc was done before she bought it a year ago with 130xxx on it. Thanks everyone I really appreciate it. Hope I can get this figured out today!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I wouldn't get hung up on the copper/platinum/iridium thing.

Yes, the car want NGK plugs and yes it REALLY wants OEM wires.

All the fancy metal tips get you are more miles until the next set is required. For the first 25k miles you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't get hung up on the copper/platinum/iridium thing.

Yes, the car want NGK plugs and yes it REALLY wants OEM wires.

All the fancy metal tips get you are more miles until the next set is required. For the first 25k miles you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
good to know about the plugs. Let me ask you this, how bad is it to drive, or how bad was it to drive when it was misfiring?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New plug wires are in, appeared to have helped some, but still run rough, shaking the car. I'm thinking new IAC? should i try new coil pack? do those parts have to be subaru specific?? theres not much more to the ignition system that i can throw new parts at....new O2 sensor? is that brand specific? darn thing....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just took it for a drive, major loss in power, still mis firing, and check engine light came on flashing, same code P0302. I'm thinking about trying a new coil pack?

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Again, maybe the timing belt is contributing. Perhaps head gasket or valve cover gasket, injector, are the intake and exhaust valves operating (seating) correctly? Starting to sound like a scavenger hunt now, and that would suck. From something to a fuel filter (simple) to a loss of compression (not so simple.) Wish I had an answer, but it sounds like you need to talk to cardoc, plain OM, or 1 Lucky Texan.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
When I had the exact same code on my 2000 OBW I did the plugs, wires, and coil pack all at the same time. So I am not sure which one was the magic bullet. The problem has been solved for about a year now. Logically it sounds like you might want to try the coil pack. I got mine at Autozone and I'm sure someone here can tell you if I should have gone OEM. But, it is dead simple to change. Follow the plug wires and you'll find it sitting there on top front and center. Couple of screws, pop four wires off and then onto the new coil and your problem may be solved.

I start with the obvious, cheapest, and quickest fixes and sometimes they even work.

·
Registered
01 outback 2.5h4 5mt 217k
8 Posts
ok simple test. and please dont zap yourself doing this. start up the vehicle.... try to remove the #2 spark plug wire from the coil slowly and see if theres an arc. if there's no arc from that wire to coil connection then you most likely have a bad coil. if theres an arc.... then it's time to run a compression test for a hung up valve or other issues. I know it sounds backwoods... and please wear rubber gloves or use a plug wire remover to disconnect it.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Not sure I'd remove a plug wire from a coil on a running car - lots of little computers in our cars may not take too kindly to that. Maybe there is something you can do with a multimeter that has less chance of damaging an ECU?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forget until now to mention that a few weeks ago, she said it was running rough, just like it is now, she had a check engine light, i scanned it and this cylinder 2 misfire popped up. i popped the hood while it was running, saw that the #2 plug wire was arching, I can't remember what it was arching on but it was arching. I did something, moved it around or away from what ever it was arching on and it fixed it. Then a short while after that she said it acted up again but only for a moments. AND I've noticed that whenever she mentions that it does it, it is rainy weather outside. I kind of think that signs are pointing to the coil pack but I could be wrong. Maybe its cracked in the slightest way? Maybe that arching somehow fried something and it just now is kicking the bucket? I'm very tempted to try it. I'll pull it off and inspect it for something obvious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do the mist test. Mist the wires with a water sprayer at night and watch.
And what is it i'm looking for, arching? If it does arch, what does that tell me? I've never heard of this technique. I'm assuming it tells me where theres a hairline crack in something. And I saw nothing obviously wrong the the coil pack on it now, at least externally...I'll be going to get a spray bottle then!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts