Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Legacy SUS Ltd, BGM && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FS (MA): 1999 Legacy SUS (modified) $700+

This is my first car, fourth Subaru in our family. Built Feb 1999 (happy 20th birthday!) I've had her since 2011, 114,000 miles. Now 100,000+ miles and 8+ years later, I have a second Subaru myself, and am hoping to get a job offer across the country... so I am testing the waters for selling this old girl. The drivetrain and subsystems are strong, though the body needs attention for rust in the corners.

Price drop: I am starting out asking $700 for the car. I have started removing some of the upgrades below, and am listing prices for what's available. After the car sells, I will make a separate listing for what is leftover.

That said, I do have nearly all the stock replacements for these still in storage, so whatever sells with the car I will be listing the OEM bits for dirt cheap afterwards.

Current stats:

• 1999 Legacy SUS (Outback trim / Sport Utility Sedan) Limited, with leather interior, sunroof, 6 speakers.
  • VIN: 4S3BD685XX72****4
  • 220,000 miles on body. Engine may have been replaced before I got it, one shop stated. No major engine failures, though. (HG below was caught very early)
  • 2.5L EJ25D. Headgaskets + timing belt + timing kit replaced in 2015 around 165,000 by Boxer Motor Works, Salem, MA
  • Tires are Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, about 18 months old.
  • Lifetime MPG 24.5, down from about 25.5 when running Hankook Optimo 727.
  • Air conditioning works great!
  • No torque bind!
  • Running oil changes to 4000-4500, with analysis from Blackstone Labs
Modifications:
BL/BP side mirrors (fully working), from 2005 Legacy GT: folding, power adjust, defog, and turn signals. As far as I know this is one-of-a-kind, and it is probably my favorite mod here $300 shipped

JDM headlights, modified for LHD, with Phillips +50 low beams. Plug-and-play wiring adapter, no wirecutting needed! $200 shipped

Primitive skid plate, under engine (aluminum) $50, pickup please

Hella Sharptone horns

Auto-dimming mirror with compass and outside temp $30 shipped

Wood-rim steering wheel from 03/04 LLBean VDC w/ airbag $80 shipped, $40 pickup (because it is heavy)

McIntosh head unit / amp from 01/02/03/04 Outback. No subwoofer. Plug-and-play wiring adapter, no cutting needed. Would recommend running more power when adding subwoofer $150 shipped

Bluetooth / Aux-in adapter: "Yatour" from eBay, for hands-free phone calls, or wired/wireless music. Mounted inside console, native plug to rear of Mcintosh head unit -claimed-

LED bulbs: turn signals front/rear, reverse lights, interior / puddle lights

"Custom" upholstered roof and sunroof shade: My girlfriend warns you about this: green paisley leaf trim, with night sky sunroof cover. I was experimenting... see pictures.

Legacy wagon trunk liner, not an exact fit

Spare tire well tool tray & plastic cover

Also have (not installed)
OEM SUS grille. After having it off for ~6 months of absentminded headlight & grill work, it didn't seem to fit right. Included for free with car.

<strikethrough>Set of 4 15" wheels with Goodyear Winterforce tires, which I can include for a little extra cost. Wheels are 6-spoke Sport Editions, tires should have about 1/2 tread left.</strikethrough> sold separately

Set of 1" lift HDPE strut spacers, never installed. I chickened out of doing this with the original suspension, and wasn't ready to replace it all. $60 shipped

JDM auto HVAC controller + mixer door module. This would be my next project, not necessarily selling it yet.

Grounding kit for engine/sensors. Forget who sold this...

One OEM front axle, in need of re-booting. Free if you want it with the car.

Repair history (off the top of my head):
  • Timing belt, pulleys/tensioner, headgaskets replaced summer 2015 (165,000 miles)
  • Transmission also drain/filled summer 2015 (same service) Exhaust repaired 2011, 2014, and 2018 (finally welded solid pieces in place of all flex/gasket joints).
  • Left front axle, replaced 2016 or 2017
  • New tires around Jan 2018 (Yoko Geolandar) Front calipers + pads/rotors replaced Feb 2018. Rear caliper brackets were too rusted on for me to deal with in Feburary.
  • Right front axle, spring 2018 (I think?)
  • A/C o-rings replaced summer 2018, and system recharged. Blows cold!
  • Spark plugs + wires replaced summer 2018.
  • Fuel filler neck replaced Jan 2019.
  • Knock sensor replaced spring 2019
  • Rear pads & rotors replaced fall 2019, parking brake adjusted
Recommended work:
  • Rust: especially, corner of windshield. I have been staring at this for a couple months, deciding how to attack it. Also rust growing: edge of hood, both front fenders, rear left quarter. Rear right quarter has 8+ year-old clearcoat damage
  • IACV probably needs cleaning/replacing, sometimes reluctant to start, or idle sticks high
  • HVAC control unit was blowing a fuse, so I removed the unit and just kept basics (fan speed, AC switch). Working on fixing this currently...
  • Both front axles have now been replaced with aftermarket ones, so it has the shakes at idle. Sorry... I've gotten used to it!

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,628 Posts
I know subarus are p#ssy magnets,

but does the sweet cat / harness go with the car ?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know subarus are p#ssy magnets,

but does the sweet cat / harness go with the car ?

Oh! Oops, I dragged a bunch of pictures right into here. That's my Umbra, who I'm trying to train to go for walks. He doesn't come with the car. Doesn't matter what car it is, he whines the whole ride.... >:)

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*Bump*ing this, dropped price: $1600 as-is, or $800 de-modded.

Anyone want to give an old gal a new home?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,320 Posts
FS (MA): 1999 Legacy SUS (modified) $1000+

This is my first car, fourth Subaru in our family. Built Feb 1999 (happy 20th birthday!) I've had her since 2011, 114,000 miles. Now 100,000+ miles and 8+ years later, I have a second Subaru myself, and am hoping to get a job offer across the country... so I am testing the waters for selling this old girl. The drivetrain and subsystems are strong, though the body needs attention for rust in the corners.

I am starting out asking $1,800 for the car as-is, or $1,000 returned to approximately stock.

I realize this might sound high, but I feel that almost half the value is in the custom parts (see below).
I am willing to sell with or without most of those customizations, but I will only sell those parts separately if I already have a buyer for the car, or else I am asking a bit more for the separate parts.

That said, I do have nearly all the stock replacements for these still in storage, so whatever sells with the car I will be listing the OEM bits for dirt cheap afterwards.

Current stats:

• 1999 Legacy SUS (Outback trim / Sport Utility Sedan) Limited, with leather interior, sunroof, 6 speakers.
  • VIN: 4S3BD685XX72****4
  • 220,000 miles on body. Engine may have been replaced before I got it, one shop stated. No major engine failures, though. (HG below was caught very early)
  • 2.5L EJ25D. Headgaskets + timing belt + timing kit replaced in 2015 around 165,000 by Boxer Motor Works, Salem, MA
  • Tires are Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, about 18 months old.
  • Lifetime MPG 24.5, down from about 25.5 when running Hankook Optimo 727.
  • Air conditioning works great!
  • No torque bind!
  • Running oil changes to 4000-4500, with analysis from Blackstone Labs
Modifications:
BL/BP side mirrors (fully working), from 2005 Legacy GT: folding, power adjust, defog, and turn signals. As far as I know this is one-of-a-kind, and it is probably my favorite mod here

JDM headlights, modified for LHD, with Phillips +50 low beams. Plug-and-play wiring adapter, no wirecutting needed!

Primitive skid plate, under engine (aluminum)

Hella Sharptone horns

Auto-dimming mirror with compass and outside temp

Wood-rim steering wheel from 03/04 LLBean VDC

McIntosh head unit / amp from 01/02/03/04 Outback. No subwoofer. Plug-and-play wiring adapter, no cutting needed. Would recommend running more power when adding subwoofer

Bluetooth / Aux-in adapter: "Yatour" from eBay, for hands-free phone calls, or wired/wireless music. Mounted inside console, native plug to rear of Mcintosh head unit

LED bulbs: turn signals front/rear, reverse lights, interior / puddle lights

"Custom" upholstered roof and sunroof shade: My girlfriend warns you about this: green paisley leaf trim, with night sky sunroof cover. I was experimenting... see pictures.

Legacy wagon trunk liner, not an exact fit

Spare tire well tool tray & plastic cover

Also have (not installed)
OEM SUS grille. After having it off for ~6 months of absentminded headlight & grill work, it didn't seem to fit right. Included for free with car.

Set of 4 15" wheels with Goodyear Winterforce tires, which I can include for a little extra cost. Wheels are 6-spoke Sport Editions, tires should have about 1/2 tread left.

Set of 1" lift HDPE strut spacers, never installed. I chickened out of doing this with the original suspension, and wasn't ready to replace it all.

JDM auto HVAC controller + mixer door module. This would be my next project, not necessarily selling it yet.

Grounding kit for engine/sensors. Forget who sold this...

One OEM front axle, in need of re-booting. Free if you want it with the car.

Repair history (off the top of my head):

• Timing belt, pulleys/tensioner, headgaskets replaced summer 2015 (165,000 miles)
  • Transmission also drain/filled summer 2015 (same service) Exhaust repaired 2011, 2014, and 2018 (finally welded solid pieces in place of all flex/gasket joints).
  • Left front axle, replaced 2016 or 2017
  • New tires around Jan 2018 (Yoko Geolandar) Front calipers + pads/rotors replaced Feb 2018. Rear caliper brackets were too rusted on for me to deal with in Feburary.
  • Right front axle, spring 2018 (I think?)
  • A/C o-rings replaced summer 2018, and system recharged. Blows cold!
  • Spark plugs + wires replaced summer 2018.
  • Fuel filler neck replaced Jan 2019.
  • Knock sensor replaced spring 2019
Recommended work:

• Rust: especially, corner of windshield. I have been staring at this for a couple months, deciding how to attack it. Also rust growing: edge of hood, both front fenders, rear left quarter. Rear right quarter has 8+ year-old clearcoat damage
  • Rear rotors are overdue for replacement
  • IACV probably needs cleaning/replacing, sometimes reluctant to start, or idle sticks high
  • HVAC control unit was blowing a fuse, so I removed the unit and just kept basics (fan speed, AC switch). Working on fixing this currently...
  • Both front axles have now been replaced with aftermarket ones, so it has the shakes at idle. Sorry... I've gotten used to it!
Do you have any more info on adding Bluetooth to the McIntosh unit?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a Yatour unit from eBay, with a square plug that goes to the back of the headunit. Here's an example of (I think) the exact one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yatour-YT-BTA-Bluetooth-Adapter-for-Clarion-radio-Suzuki-Swift-GRAND-VITARA-SX4/282016596005?epid=2164261972&hash=item41a97fc025:g:GKsAAOSw2GlXHdo0
It specified "for Clairon" and Suzuki, but the description also specifies the Subaru McIntosh units:
YTBTA-SUZ1
Includes:
l Module unit for Clarion(SUZ1)
l Clarion CE-NET plug
l AUX cable
Compatible With
Clarion(CE-NET)VXZ-xxx: VXZ 768R etc.
Suzuki
Model
Compatible with Suzuki Radio OEM by Clarion:
2005-2010 Swift VI ,1998-2010 Jimny , 2006-2010 GRAND VITARA (ESCUDO \ Sidekick) , 2006-2010 SX4
Head Unit
OEM Clarion radio : PS-2681H, PS-2428D, PS-2656D-A, PS-2991D-B,other PS-xxx radios
Subaru (Mcintosh) Mcintosh clarion radios: PF-2343I-A, PF-4025I-C, PF-4048I-A, PF-40621,etc
Other modelsBuick Excelle(6 discs ) , Chevrolet EPICA(6 discs ) , Mazda 323(6 discs changer)
Not work with
Clarion​
VRX-xxx series: VRX 743R, VRX633R,VRX918R etc;
DRX-xxx: DRX9575RZ etc; DXZ-xxx: DXZ928R,DXZ958R etc;
Suzuki OEM Clarion radio with C-Bus(13pin): DY-3E44S,RY-3E44S3.
Subaru OEM Kenwood radio
Notice
1.Requires disconnecting car stereo from car before installing Digital music changer;

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump for attention. 25MPG AWD for any of you here? I'm about to do brakes on this one, so it'll be a great price!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And updated - rear brakes (pad & rotor) changed.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another bump here -- I've got that job offer, and need to find a home for one car!
Go on, someone, make an offer? I don't want to have to resort to Craigslist!

Just got back the latest oil analysis on this EJ25D, and it looks happy:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another week, another bump.

Front driver's axle is clicking, I have new boots for an old OEM axle but need to get it rebooted and then swapped.

Price drop to account for rush and for axle work needed. Anyone need another car?!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump for attention and some parts pricing, car is still available!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts