Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW, 2.5 AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FS - 2003 Outback 2.5 - Colorado (mechanic's special) $1500

I'm listing this car for a friend who purchased it in March of 2017. During the past year, I've been responsible for performing most of the repair work. She recently purchased a brand new vehicle, has no need for the Outback. Mileage is currently 204,000, automatic transmission, VIN 4S3BH675037620817. Interior is average, can send pics if desired. Wanting $1500.

I've kept full electronic records detailing the repair history, which I will email on request, but here are the highlights:

new headgaskets
new valve stem seals
new radiator
new cooling hoses (except two small dia. to intake)
new thermostat
new water pump
new timing belt and tensioners
new battery
new alternator
new tie rod (pass side)
new wheel bearing (pass side)
new valve cover gaskets
new idler pulley

During this time, the car was rear ended on the left side, which forced the corner of the bumper downwards. I did my best to straighten it, but the new bumper cover (from a pick and pull) sits about 3/16" low. There was no body damage and there doesn't seem to be any suspension issues as a result.

Here are the remaining issues that I know of:

The check engine light is on, code is P0420, catalyst efficiency below threshold.
Outer CV boot on drivers side is torn.
Inner tie rod on drivers side has play.Slow drip from oil pan drain plug, not sure if sealing area is damaged or bad gasket.
Exhibits pinging on acceleration.
Rear sway bar links need replacing.
Various rattles and banging in suspension.
Rusted through at lower edge of tailgate and at rear of each wheel well. Rust is evident at rear of each rear door jamb also.
The car seems underpowered, although internet wisdom says this is a characteristic of this model/engine/auto transmission.

Included is an extra set of four aluminum wheels, with worn tires.

I've got about 100 hours of mechanical time into this car and just need to be done with it - I really don't have the time to chase the remaining issues.

The car is currently in Greeley, but will probably end up in Denver soon, with it's owner. Despite all the cars woes, it seems to finally be at a point where it's reliable - I've driven back and forth from Greeley to Denver twice now, put about 400 miles on it without problems.

This might work for someone who can do their own maintenance and is looking for cheap transportation for around town.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 OBW, 2.5 AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still have this car, rear bumper has been straightened. Car is in Denver, owner wants it gone - $1500 OBO

·
Registered
2003 OBW, 2.5 AT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
News Flash! This vehicle just passed emissions (Dec 19), have the report to prove it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.