Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking Price: $4500

For sale is my nice 2001 Outback with 132,142 miles (going up, as it's my daily driver). I bought this car without a transmission and put a JDM dual range 5 speed (a genuine EJ Dual Range!). With that, I also installed a clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and rear main seal.

I have not rigged up a way to shift from high to low from the cabin, but I'm willing to help whoever buys the car. I have a welder and some other fabrication tools.

I also replaced both front wheel bearings and the passenger CV axle. When I bought the car it had no previous maintenance history, so I changed the timing belt, timing pullies, tensioner, water pump, and thermostat to be sure. Good thing, as those idler pullies were pretty rough when I gave them a spin.

Fresh transmission and engine oils and coolant.

Bad: The cruise control isn't working (I'm trying to figure out why) and the rear seat is missing its headrests. Some minor rust (it apparently grew up in New Jersey).

Runs great and I have receipts for all of the new parts I put into it. If you're interested, either post or send me a text at 407434178three. I'm in the western Orlando area.

Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
What kind of price are looking for?

I'll ask people I know around the Orlando area if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
Subaru Baja 2003
23 Posts
A little off topic, but do you have a write up on installing the dual range. Is it pretty straight forward? I would be interested to hear about o rigging the high/low selector into the cabin...

I am very interested in doing something like this for my vehicle.

Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
2001 Outback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A dual range Baja would be awesome! It is a very straight forward swap. The DR transmission was compatible with all of the Outback parts. The hardest part is finding the transmission!

As for hooking up the DR shifter, I haven't done it yet. It had a cable actuator that pushes or pulls the transmission lever, but the cable is cut. I think the simplest way to make it work is to attach a long shaft to the selector on the transmission and cut a hole in the firewall. The high low shifter would be at the lower right of the center console in the passenger area.

I'll try to make a picture of what I mean. The biggest challenges I see with that is sealing the hole well and securing the rod so it doesn't rattle but still shifts smoothly.

If I do make a high low shifter, I'll be sure to document it.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5spd, "lifted"
112 Posts
If only you weren't in Fl. I'd part ways w my GT wagon for something like this

·
Registered
2001 Outback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sold. Unfortunately the new owner wasn't interested in the fact it has a dual range transmission!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Asking Price: $4500

For sale is my nice 2001 Outback with 132,142 miles (going up, as it's my daily driver). I bought this car without a transmission and put a JDM dual range 5 speed (a genuine EJ Dual Range!). With that, I also installed a clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and rear main seal.

I have not rigged up a way to shift from high to low from the cabin, but I'm willing to help whoever buys the car. I have a welder and some other fabrication tools.

I also replaced both front wheel bearings and the passenger CV axle. When I bought the car accessories it had no previous maintenance history, so I changed the timing belt, timing pullies, tensioner, water pump, and thermostat to be sure. Good thing, as those idler pullies were pretty rough when I gave them a spin.

Fresh transmission and engine oils and coolant.

Bad: The cruise control isn't working (I'm trying to figure out why) and the rear seat is missing its headrests. Some minor rust (it apparently grew up in New Jersey).

Runs great and I have receipts for all of the new parts I put into it. If you're interested, either post or send me a text at 407434178three. I'm in the western Orlando area.

Thanks for taking a look!
Is it available or sold? Waiting for quick reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
86aaz,

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I bought a dual range transmission from Australia (JDM model) and installed it in my 01 Outback, but I'm trying to figure out how to actuate it. Did you end up finding a way before you sold it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Outback
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sale ended up not going through, so I still have it! I haven't rigged up a shifter yet. I'd like to try to get the 4Lo shift mechanism from an 80s subaru, which is a cable shifter. If I can't find one of those I'll make a hole in the firewall and make a push/pull shifter that's attached with a solid rod.

I hope to get the cable shifter options working because I think a rod would transmit more vibration and rattling than I'd like.

I'll let you know what I end up doing. If you figure something out, let me know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.