Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing these up for sale since I no longer need them.... Both have seen around 30k miles of service on Ludwig the BattleWagon, and both have served him pretty well.

First off, a one-off custom aluminum skidplate I made to fit the BE/BH with Borla headers WITHOUT using spacers. It maximizes the possible ground clearance available and adds a little protection to the lower portion of the header. Hand bent aluminum diamond plate.

Things it's been through (and saved Ludwig from):
-Tree branches falling off trucks on the interstate
-Giant rock falling off a truck in front of me
-Numerous hard things in mudholes
-Big chunks of ice
-Quite a few saplings
-Broken down cornstalks
-Being dragged through a ditch full of cinderblocks (backwards) for half a mile by a tractor when I got stuck once...
-Numerous trips in which the car became airborne for longer than 3 seconds
-My general stupidity and arrogant behavior
-My stunning good looks

.....all sorts of stuff. Some say it's thin (little less than 1/8"), I say after the stuff I've put it through, if you need a thicker plate, you need something besides a freaking Subaru. But people say that I need something besides a Subaru, and those people are dumb... so what the heck, use it and do crazy things like me in your Subaru. I take no responsibility though, if a velociraptor bites holes in your sump through it, or if anything else kills your car through my skidplate. It secures with four bolts, light weight makes it easy to remove for oil changes, etc.

$40+ shipping firm. Own a piece of history. Ludwig's sump guard, complete with his autograph. And oil stains. And leaky headgasket stains. Because that's what Ludwig does.

Second, an Accel oiled-cotton-gauze filter... freshly cleaned (and will be oiled for you with K&N oil before shipment, yeah it won't be blue, it'll be some strange purple color because the oil is red but who cares you won't be looking at it.)

Okay, so people go back and forth on these things. Some people swear by them, others think they're crap, others don't really care but have them anyway. Personally I saw a tad bit better throttle response with my huge 3" airbox setup over a stock paper filter, but your results could vary. Had it on the car through some heavy dust (running several stages) and it seemed to catch a ton and left the "clean side" of the airbox clean. So I'll take that as a good sign that it works. Only reason I'm selling is that my new intake setup removed the stock airbox which this resides in.

$10+ship firm, I think you can get them on Ebay for like $30+ship, so this is a pretty decent deal I think. Fits all Subbies (MAP style) with the longer panel filters. If you think the price stinks, don't buy it, I'll just hoard it in the basement until I buy another Subaru to put it on. However, my hoarding of car parts makes the fiance mad so please buy. :29:

·
Registered
51 Posts
will the skidplate fit ok with the stock exhaust? any idea what the minimum cost might be to ship it to Hawaii?? I want it :) btw, I love the description.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about fitment with the stock header. I might could try it tomorrow or Tuesday. However, if you used it with a stock header it would hang down unnecessarily low on the left side where the UEL header would normally be.

I'd have to look into shipping HI if it fits with a stock header. :) And thanks! lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
awesome, thank you. let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If that falls through let me know shipping to PA (19075) or just pm the dimensions and mounting point locations And I'd love to make one myself (with an oil filter hole of course). Seriously though, that would be awesome if you still have any plans from when you made it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zmontgomery, tried the plate late last night and it definitely won't fit the stock header without some spacers and/or some serious cutting... which would kind of defeat the purpose and not leave a lot of protection. :( Let me know what you think and I can check shipping... but you'd be better off to buy a sheet of aluminum and make one yourself or have one made I think.

madhader I have one guy on SF.org who PM'd me yesterday, so he's behind zmontgomery (if he still wants it) but in front of you.

That being said... I can measure it tonight and get you some dimensions. I don't have the original plans, as when I made it I was just sort of forming it to fit the car (nobody as far as I know has made one like this). :) Oil filter hole would be easy to add, but I just took the whole thing off every time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you so much for checking the fitment. That's a bummer that a fair amount of modification will most likely be needed. How big of spacers would it need? Like a couple of washers stacked on top of one another? or something more involved? I could deal with some washers and some minor bending if I needed to. I don't want to wreck your work, especially if there is someone out there who has a rig that it will bolt right up to. Haha on a side note, I looked over your post about the build up of your rig and totally made my own "JDM intake." I had something similar going already except I was using the stock "scoop" insetad. I like having it go into the fenderwell who would of thought that a 2''-3'' rubber coupler would fit in so perfectly.....definitely a bit louder and a bit cleaner looking that way. Also I can feel the 100 million horsepower increase that much more :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for checking the fitment. That's a bummer that a fair amount of modification will most likely be needed. How big of spacers would it need? Like a couple of washers stacked on top of one another? or something more involved? I could deal with some washers and some minor bending if I needed to. I don't want to wreck your work, especially if there is someone out there who has a rig that it will bolt right up to. Haha on a side note, I looked over your post about the build up of your rig and totally made my own "JDM intake." I had something similar going already except I was using the stock "scoop" insetad. I like having it go into the fenderwell who would of thought that a 2''-3'' rubber coupler would fit in so perfectly.....definitely a bit louder and a bit cleaner looking that way. Also I can feel the 100 million horsepower increase that much more :)

Probably about an inch or so spacers on the back at least, which makes it hang down really low back there. I think you'd be happier with one made for the stock exhaust. ;)

If you want to use the stock scoop... check this setup out... I ran it like this for a while. :) Probably my favorite setup thus far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ha! That's pretty much exactly what I had set up as well. Without the scoop things are just a little more freed up in there....and like I said before, with it going to the fenderwell you can hear it a bit more when you get on it. Have you run into any issues with yours going into the fenderwell? Water intrusion? more dirt getting into the filter, etc? The one thing I found with the scoop in front was that if I crossed a deeper puddle or creek (I've gone through a few that were over the bumper) the scoop was in line for a direct hit. I figured with things going to the fender that the chances of water getting in would be a bit less. Also thanks again for the notes on the skidplate. I'll let someone else take it and see what else shows up down the line...or just bust out the big bucks one day for one from Primitive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sale pending on this plate to the SF.org buyer. Don't worry... I'm going to measure/make plans for it tomorrow to share with you guys. :)

The fenderwell posed a similar problem... I did have water up to the hood several times, and the the fender is actually a lower intake point. Also when your fenderliner gets ripped out (as mine has been several times) you end up sucking up all the dust/rocks/mud/whatever the tire slings all over the inside of the fenderwell. lol Honestly right now I'm running a hacked up stock airbox with the OEM tiny elbow cut out of it. Deafeningly loud at WOT but it works until I get the snorkle put together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah I figure as long as I don't go tearing out my fender liner it should be ok. haha.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plate is sold and shipped, as well as the air filter... I have the measurements for the plate. Just need to make them into a sketch for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Plate is sold and shipped, as well as the air filter... I have the measurements for the plate. Just need to make them into a sketch for you.
Hi,

I am new to the forum and read a lot about the UEL headers. I would like to get one put in but then I wonder if I need to get a custom plate like the one you sold. If I do, can you post the dimension for it. I would like to get one made if I am getting the headers. Thanks in advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
snooozie
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing