Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2003 H6 LLB Wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like all the sites for downloading the PDF FSM's keep going offline. I guess that's a copyright issue? Last I knew http://jdmfsm.info had loads of them, but I was rushed then and only grabbed what I needed. Going back for more, they seem to be unreachable. Any hints? I know I can subscribe to subaru techinfo sute for $34.95, but I'm already too deep into this Legacy. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,421 Posts

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
479 Posts
I came here to post the jdmfsm.info link. Only to find it's down! I don't like that...

If you're willing to pay, the official source is http://stis.subaru.com/ I think a one day pass is reasonably priced, and there's no limit. It's even easier now, as they have each year/model on one big file, instead of each section.

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
. . .
If you're willing to pay, the official source is http://stis.subaru.com/. . . as they have each year/model on one big file, instead of each section.
Is that actually confirmed? There's a thread here where someone found the 2018 was in one file, but no one yet has confirmed that "each year" (i.e., previous to 2018) is now in one file. If they are, then it's well worth the cost to get the most up to date and complete FSM.

I think a one day pass is reasonably priced, and there's no limit.
Also, the minimum subscription the last time I looked was $34.95 for 72 hours of access.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is that actually confirmed? There's a thread here where someone found the 2018 was in one file, but no one yet has confirmed that "each year" (i.e., previous to 2018) is now in one file. If they are, then it's well worth the cost to get the most up to date and complete FSM.

Also, the minimum subscription the last time I looked was $34.95 for 72 hours of access.
Yep, as a Subaru dealership employee, I have access to the site and use it every day (never paid for it, so I don't know the pricing structure), and they are all converted into one file. They didn't used to be, but they slowly converted it.

Also, for anyone who's curious, it only goes back to about '95.

And, jdmfsm.info is back. Phew!

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
Yep, as a Subaru dealership employee, I have access to the site and use it every day (never paid for it, so I don't know the pricing structure), and they are all converted into one file. They didn't used to be, but they slowly converted it. . .
Interesting.

For my 2007, the SOA STIS site (https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login) still shows the same publication number, G2420BE, that applied to the earlier 2007 FSM in individual pdf files, and has a "Created Date" of August 2012. This site no longer shows the contents of the FSM without a subscription, so there's no way to know if it's individual pdf files or a merged document.

The Subaru Canada Inc STIS site (https://techinfo.subaru.ca/search/index.html), which has always paralleled the SOA site in it's listings of FSMs, also has the G2420BE listed for 2007, but still shows the old style, full list of individual files for download.

Leaves me wondering if the FSMs across the years that are converted are available only to the dealer network.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Leaves me wondering if the FSMs across the years that are converted are available only to the dealer network.
This is possible. If that's the case, I'd like to know so I can chew someone out. It's pretty annoying when I need to look something up in the FSM to identify a part, and I have to load a >300Mb >7000 page file to find it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring, Crystal White Pearl
66 Posts
... the official source is http://stis.subaru.com/ ...
What's the difference between stis.subaru.com and techinfo.subaru.com which I saw previously on another thread? The former appears to be somewhat more graphical, in a smaller, windowed interface with a 2011 copyright and the latter is a full browser window display with a 2018 copyright. The *info* shown appears to be the same, but I want to make sure I put my CC# into the right site for my service manual. :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
What's the difference between stis.subaru.com and techinfo.subaru.com which I saw previously on another thread? The former appears to be somewhat more graphical, in a smaller, windowed interface with a 2011 copyright and the latter is a full browser window display with a 2018 copyright. The *info* shown appears to be the same, but I want to make sure I put my CC# into the right site for my service manual. :)

Thanks,
That's an interesting observation.

When looking for the 2018 FSM, the stis.subaru.com site comes up with the traditional list of individual pdf files, all of which have to be downloaded individually and then assembled by the user into whatever format is preferred. (see attached)

The techinfo.subaru.com site only lists the p/n, title etc, which, based on reports here for the 2018 FSM, might be the complete FSM in a single, large, assembled file. (see attached)

Both have the same Item number G2540BE.

I checked both sites for the earlier 2007 FSM and found the same two results; again, the stis.subaru site lists all the individual files, whereas the techinfo.subaru site lists one item.

(Granted, that one item listed in the techinfo.subaru site could still turn out to be many individual files to download after paying for a subscription and logging in. That's where my concern lies. I've done the individual file downloads quite a few times for FSMs over the years, and would welcome the opportunity to do it in a single file, not having to do 50/hour over the three days.)

I wonder if @Numbchux is accessing the techinfo.subaru site, and that's where the FSMs might all be single documents, and listed as such, whereas if the stis.subaru site is used, all the FSM documentation is presented as individual files.

Perhaps a call to SOA might help clarify the difference between the sites (e.g., the apparent difference in the "products" they carry): 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ah, very interesting.

My link is actually Subarunet.com/stis, but it looks just like the screenshot you have there of the techinfo site.

I just ASSumed they wouldn't have 2 completely different sites...

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
My link is actually Subarunet.com/stis, but it looks just like the screenshot you have there of the techinfo site.
Interesting.

I called SOA about the sites. The CSR couldn't explain the difference, but did state that the techinfo site is the one that SOA suggests to callers.

It's possible that the difference is intentional -- one provides file-by-file access, i.e., in the older format, whereas the other has FSM's only in the one large assembly format. The single file download would probably be of more interest to short-term subscribers, whereas the individual files might be aimed at those with long-term access and needing only specific sections at an one time.

But this begs the question I had earlier, i.e., whether or not the techinfo site indeed has all/most years going back to ?? in the single file download form.

It also begs the question whether or not a valid subscription arranged through one site can be used on the other.

·
Premium Member
2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
706 Posts
Not sure how this will turn out, but here goes. I was asked for the screenshots of where I subscribed, and for what the combined listing looks like.

In the last two pictures, if I search for any of the files in the breakouts, I get sent back to the larger file download. Further searching for Service Manual Correction returns 50 pages but by far most of them date back to 2004 which predates the larger manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
. . . But this begs the question I had earlier, i.e., whether or not the techinfo site indeed has all/most years going back to ?? in the single file download form.
It appears it does, as the 2007 is indeed one large download.

It also begs the question whether or not a valid subscription arranged through one site can be used on the other.
In this case, no. Turns out we can't log into the stis site using the user ID and password for a current subscription purchased on the techinfo site.

(Thanks to @lfdal for providing the screenshots and verifying that the FSM indeed is available from there in one large file.)

·
Registered
2001 Legacy L Sedan, 2009 Impreza Sedan, 2013 Crosstrek, 2016 WRX
134 Posts
Not sure how this will turn out, but here goes. I was asked for the screenshots of where I subscribed, and for what the combined listing looks like.

In the last two pictures, if I search for any of the files in the breakouts, I get sent back to the larger file download. Further searching for Service Manual Correction returns 50 pages but by far most of them date back to 2004 which predates the larger manual.
I can't believe this site still works! I just subscribed today, $35 for 3 days. Gives you all TSB's which as of October 2018 have been hard to find online. Also gives software updates to the Head Units and best of all Factory Service Manuals!!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,466 Posts
I have the FSM for the gen 4...dropbox...but the only downside is it’s not bundled as one.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
197 Posts
I can't believe this site still works! I just subscribed today, $35 for 3 days. Gives you all TSB's which as of October 2018 have been hard to find online. Also gives software updates to the Head Units and best of all Factory Service Manuals!!

If one does their own work, this is the best $35 you'll ever spend.

Bill

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Ltd MR/Nav & 2019 3.6R Ltd Pkg24
254 Posts
BillE507,

If one does their own work, this is the best $35 you'll ever spend.
Bill
I do very little of my own work but wouldn't have a car without a full service manual. I use them as the definitive source of information for "truth testing" repair shops. When you have an odd problem symptom and the mechanic says "the blah blah blah needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,234", the FSM is the place to determine if he might be on the right track or is just blowing smoke...

They are also helpful in doing some pre-diagnosis of problems before you even take a car in for repair. Even just browsing the manual can give you some insights into how various systems in the car interact. Such knowledge can very helpful many times.

I used a three day subscription to grab the FSM back in 2010 when I got my first Outback and subscribed again a few weeks back when I took delivery of the 2019.

John

1 - 20 of 39 Posts