Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching on Google, and I've searched here specifically, and all I want is a place to buy a factory service manual for a 2005 Outback.
Everything that comes up on Google is a link to pirate it for free. I want a hard copy. Does this even exist? I've been able to find it for other vehicles I own, and this has started to feel like a digital wild goose chase. What gives?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Only PDF versions of those manuals are available

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Dude, it's 5,600+ pages. If you really need a dead tree version, then print out the sections you need and put in a 3-ring binder like I do.

That way when you get the pages dirty, you can just print new ones instead of ruining a really nice book.

I like a good manual as much as the next nerd, but most of the time it's not worth the time and money to have it sit on the shelf 98% of the time.

For the manuals direct from Subaru: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT
97 Posts
Dude, it's 5,600+ pages....For the manuals direct from Subaru: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/

I need the FSM. Is this easy to download from the above link? Last time I tried this online using various 'free' links, it was all non-indexed, and the download was a nightmare. I had to download every single section separately, and had to guess at which one's I needed. Then it was just a bunch of PDF files with odd names.

I want something easy to download, and easy to reference later. Find with paying the $35 (then I can check out all the latest service bullitens too), but I don't want to pay $35 if it's a jumbled mess to download and use.

:EDIT: Did some more searching, and found this thread that might be the thing. User who created a script to download all the PDF files from the STIS site on a 3 day 34.95 subscription, then merge them into a single pdf file. Getting around the download limits the STIS site imposes. Still gives time to download other manuals, the service bulletins, and some other stuff. Welcome additional input tho.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...0682-2016-owner-s-service-manuals-posted.html

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
856 Posts
I was curious so i searched on Ebay and found people started to bundle sections of the factory FSM pdfs and selling those. A while back i picked up a DVD FSM but I am having no luck finding it anywhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
UPDATE: Lots of searching and checking pages of links.

Found a good link here for a lot of the Legacy Outback Factory Service Manuals for most of the years. Already downloaded and INDEXED. FREE. Plus, downloadable (as a full manual in a single PDF?) for a small donation. Did not trip any of my virus or malware alerts. Much easier than an STIS subscription, download, merge, scripting, and all that.

Permalink:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...rvice-manual-download-links-8.html#post486376

Originally posted by user xbeerd on 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM in closed thread:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-factory-service-manual-download-links-8.html

Here is a link to a ton of manuals courtesy of a member over at ultimatesubaru.org
Directory /Auto/Japan/Subaru/
Enjoy.

p.s. I'd make a donation to the guy for his work, and to cover his recurring hosting fees and maintenance. Or you can try buying one on eBay.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,607 Posts
All the service manuals available are also over on sl-i.net. Gen 1-5 Legacy/Outback, SVX, Baja, Tribeca, Impreza, Foz, etc. Some are broken down/indexed, others are a single file, but they are the legitimate USDM FSMs.

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
333 Posts
You can get really good deals on actual FSMs on eBay, just make sure you're getting the exact correct one. I have engine and trans ones, and would love a few more eventually, but realistically everything you need is in the free PDFs and about a million online DIY and project treads.

Curious, what are you working on?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,851 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Curious, what are you working on?

2.5i LOBW 5MT motor replacement with low mile wrecked donor. See other thread. But what I needed was the trans mount and shifter bushing drawings and procedures. Trying to decide if I want to dig into this even more, to swap shift bushings and more stuff. Motor has to come out. Trans does not. Don't want to break apart the exhaust, other than at the heads (rusting bolts, etc. - asking for trouble).

Or just go with my original plan:
a) R&R motor the quick way + clutch
b) New motor mounts while it's out. Shifter seems fine, leave the bushings, but it's 167K.
c) Drop trans cross member and slide it out, with trans and a & b-pipes & cat back still in, to replace all the trans rubber, while it's loose from the motor and the exhaust is unhooked at the heads.

Thanks. A lot of these manual links were broken, and buried in threads. Now it's not :smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts