Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i. 2014 XV Crosstrek
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often drive ~270 miles from northern VT to CT. It's mostly highway and I usually set the cruise at ~70. I generally get 30mpg from he onboard guage. Recently though it's sometime much worse. The first time I noticed it, I was getting 24mpg. It was a beautiful clear day, around 55F, no rain or wind. I was planning to take it in for the mechanic to take a look, but on the way home, it was back to normal. Then a while later I noticed poor MPG again, and now I occasionally get poor mpg and other times it's normal. Right now its 20 below in VT. I'm not considering bad weather days - I'm only considering decent, warmish weather days. COuld something like a choke be sticking on? Could it be some other computer problem? Any thought?

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I often drive ~270 miles from northern VT to CT. It's mostly highway and I usually set the cruise at ~70. I generally get 30mpg from he onboard guage. Recently though it's sometime much worse. The first time I noticed it, I was getting 24mpg. It was a beautiful clear day, around 55F, no rain or wind. I was planning to take it in for the mechanic to take a look, but on the way home, it was back to normal. Then a while later I noticed poor MPG again, and now I occasionally get poor mpg and other times it's normal. Right now its 20 below in VT. I'm not considering bad weather days - I'm only considering decent, warmish weather days. COuld something like a choke be sticking on? Could it be some other computer problem? Any thought?

Thanks

Ron
Ron are you talking tank calculated average miles driven vs fuel burned? Or are you simply referencing the average mileage on the dash? 70mph and even a very light head wind can impact your average for a trip you run on a regular basis. We do a 310 mile trip each way twice a year. The mileage average runs anywhere between 22mpg and 31mpg pending traffic conditions - speeds - wind - and outside temps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts