Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback and water is finding its way inside the fuel door and not able to drain out and then freezing. The freezing is sticking the door shut which is becoming very problematic for my wife while trying to refuel on her own with the kids in the car. Car is stock and Subaru Canada is failing to get back to me with a resolution other than a bit of grease at the bottom (which doesn’t work).... anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
The solution that has been offered here multiple times is to use a pen or pencil to hold up the seat latch then smack the fuel door with your fist to crack the ice.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Tapping/pushing/punching/shoving the gas door in to break the ice will work. I've had it happen to me in Sub 20 degree weather.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The credit card around the fuel door trick can work too with a bit of wiggling and whacking... regardless, not an issue we should be having with a new vehicle .

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
... regardless, not an issue we should be having with a new vehicle .
Seriously?

You live in a region where it gets cold enough to freeze and you've never had a car have the fuel door freeze closed on you before?

It's not a new car issue, it's a mother nature issue.

Next I suppose you'll post that you had an issue with the power windows not rolling down on their own because there had been freezing rain accumulate on the window and the motors weren't powerful enough to overcome it being frozen solid.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Have lived all my life in northern latitudes with the usual winter freezing rain, etc, and have NEVER seen a fuel door get frozen shut. Maybe this is a unique Subaru problem of certain years and models.

Or I've just been damned lucky for 65 years.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Seriously?

You live in a region where it gets cold enough to freeze and you've never had a car have the fuel door freeze closed on you before?

It's not a new car issue, it's a mother nature issue.

Next I suppose you'll post that you had an issue with the power windows not rolling down on their own because there had been freezing rain accumulate on the window and the motors weren't powerful enough to overcome it being frozen solid.
I was told that Subaru was good in the snow but I tried driving to the north pole and was attacked by a polar bear on Bathurst island.

The bear was easily able to rip apart the THIN doors and my wife, kids, and I all perished.

Is this really what Subaru thinks is good in the snow? This is an outrage!

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Have lived all my life in northern latitudes with the usual winter freezing rain, etc, and have NEVER seen a fuel door get frozen shut. Maybe this is a unique Subaru problem of certain years and models.

I live in the mid-atlantic but have only been driving for 50 years. Have had frozen fuel doors on Toyota's, Chevrolet's and Ford's....it's a mother nature thing.

Reactions: Carl Abrams

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have had fuel doors frozen the odd time, very odd time in other vehicles but that’s when they had snow and ice frozen outside on them... but I have only owned Honda, Subaru and Toyota and have never had a fuel door freeze shut where there isn’t a speck of ice visible on the outside of the car except maybe in water pooling areas (ie. bottom of windshield)... only has that ever happened on this Outback ever. And it has happened dozens of times this winter under the same circumstance. 15 years of driving in canada in a similar climate in various vehicles. Temperature range of occurance has been -1 to -10 C.

I’m not an idiot, if there ice visible around the fuel door I don’t really expect it to open unless I clear up the ice, but when pretty much the only place where there is ice on the car is inside the fuel door... that’s a design issue. Improper drainage. They have already redisgned and installed new fuel doors on legacy’s because it was a design issue.

So for you smart****** out there, realize this you may not be as smart as you think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I live in the mid-atlantic but have only been driving for 50 years. Have had frozen fuel doors on Toyota's, Chevrolet's and Ford's....it's a mother nature thing.
In some cases it’s a design issue.

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
414 Posts
I had this problem on my 03 on multiple occasions. I used to use a plastic knife from fast food places to kind of saw around the door to get it to open.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 25i
2 Posts
This has happened to our 2001 Outback, '95 Grand Cherokee, '93 Mercury...nearly every car we owned. Regularly spray WD40 on the latch and hinge.

Had a similar issue on out old Outback's liftgate. WD 40 is magic fluid.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Cars with manual fuel doors don't suffer this issue typically because you can simply muscle through it with your hand.

The locked fuel doors that require a button push from the cabin seem more vulnerable to this issue.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
Mine froze once early into winter and I think one time since then. Other than that I haven't had a problem. I was planning to try to find a fix for it and probably still will if it becomes a regular problem for me.

I'm just glad to be done with the capless design that Ford went to. While I never had problems with it on my Escape I just never got used to the idea of the filler not being covered behind the manual door. It was kind of nice not having to deal with removing the cap on bitter cold days though.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts