Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the thing is useless but since it's there I figure it should work. Maybe it does but here is what I noted. Right after I fill up the gas tank it will show that I am getting 0mpg. Then it will start working and be fine for the rest of the tank. It took about a mile of driving before it started registering something other than 0. I can't swear that it always does this as I have only noticed it twice but anyone else see something like that?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Do you reset the trip odometer when you fill up? are you using the average rather than instant MPG? If you answer yes to both of those questions, that is the issue. You have to have miles on the trip for the tank to average in. Switch to the other trip odometer to see the average over several tanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Odometers A and B......

As the others mentioned, there is an odometer A and one that is B.

You can clear both if you want, or you can let B accumulate all the miles over a long period of time, maybe only resetting B after you get something major done, like a tune-up, switching to higher octane fuel, changing to full synthetic oils, etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have been more clear. First I only use the "A" trip just because I monitor one tank at a time and leave the other go to get an overall once in a while. I am taling about the gauge to the left that looks sort of like a gas gauge. It just registers how far you are in the + or _ from center.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Same thing with my '12 OB. When I fill up I clear the total tank average mpg's. At that point the display reads _ _ _ _ for a mile or so before it starts to calculate the new tank.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The gauge you speak of works in a dynamic fashion. First of all, it only works once average MPG is established. If you reset the trip computer, then it will take 1-2 miles before an average appears.

The gauge then operates with the center point (halfway between + and -) representing the average MPG. I.e. closer to the "+" means you're currently doing better than average, and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Per the owner's manual (there was one delivered with your vehicle, right?), the readout on top of the dash will not read any avg. MPG until you've traveled 1 mile since the reset. As a result of that the gauge in the cluster will not work, at least until the avg MPG is established, because there isn't anything to compare to.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yes, the useless guage at the left of the cluster is tied to the digital display and also does not work until an average is established. When the center display shows ---,the guage will not work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the useless guage at the left of the cluster is tied to the digital display and also does not work until an average is established. When the center display shows ---,the guage will not work.
Thanks to all, this makes sense. Wasn't quite sure if it was tied to fuel flow or the trip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Per the owner's manual (there was one delivered with your vehicle, right?), the readout on top of the dash will not read any avg. MPG until you've traveled 1 mile since the reset. As a result of that the gauge in the cluster will not work, at least until the avg MPG is established, because there isn't anything to compare to.
Thanks, I will have to remember to take the manual with me when I am traveling in the military.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for assuming that if you're asking this type of question you had experienced this and came here to ask.

and thanks for your service.
I did experience this. Not sure why dropping off my car and flying somewhere, using my computer during travel would indicate I didn't. In any case, thanks for the comments on my service. Biggest way to thank any of us is to exercise and guard the rights you have. Once they are gone they are hard to get back and it will mean all the long deployments were not worth much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Jake2c
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing