Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I live in Australia and I have a 99 OB LTD with 2.5L. I can't find the fuel filter in the engine compartment. A mechanic said it may be installed near the fuel tank. I looked around and still can't find it. Anyone have any ideal?

Kin

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Try Scooby mods.com They are mostly in the same area in the engine bay I believe. Brian

fuel filter

It's under fuel filter removal and install

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the fuel filter on the other OB and the pictures on this link. But the fuel line just go throught directly from the aft bulkhead to the engine and nothing in between. All the installation looks like from the factory and not been modified.

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to the dealer and got the answer. The filter should be installed either in the engine compartment or inside the fuel tank!!
And they are different type and size too. I will try to figure it out during the Easter Holidays. Does any one has fuel installed inside the fuel tank? Anyway, Have a nice holiday!

Kin

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
Try looking at your strut towers,i ones i have seen have the filter mounted to the drivers side strut tower.My 03 Baja has the filter there.I think its the same on my 04 Baja Turbo.

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I found that the fuel filter is installed inside the tanks and is integrated with the fuel pump. The installation is not that hard. It's about 45 mins work. Two of the three fuel lines use quick disconnect so it is a little bit easier than clamp. After the replacement, the respond of the car is improve. My next project will be replacement of the timing belt. Anyone has suggestion? Thanks for all the respond.
Keep in touch.

Cheer!

Kin

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
There is this article available from Endwrench regarding cam belt replacement, but it's written for the Phase 1 DOHC 2.5 litre :

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/engine/FtTimingBeltReplaceF00.pdf

Has anyone else come across tech articles for timing belt replacement in the SOHC engine ?

In the meantime, the above article should help a little.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Her is a link:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3265

A word of caution. I did the filter on our OB VDC w/ the H6. It seems the H6 holds it's pressure a lot longer than my previous H4 cars. I suggest waiting till overnight too change it. I only waited an hour which worked on my other Subarus. Not this one.

·
Registered
99' OB Ltd 2.5 SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, last time when I replaced the fuel filter, a lot of fuel came out from the connections even I released the pressure by cranking the engine several times. It is good idea to leave the car overnight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts