Subaru Outback Forums banner

301 - 320 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6r
102 Posts
Well, your car will always indicate an open recall until you do. And they (govt and manufacturers) are getting more aggressive to get people to address recalls.
I have to look at my letter again - but 99% sure it isn't a 'Recall' its just a software Update for the DTE...??

·
Registered
2017 Outback
239 Posts
Well, your car will always indicate an open recall until you do. And they (govt and manufacturers) are getting more aggressive to get people to address recalls.
I have to look at my letter again - but 99% sure it isn't a 'Recall' its just a software Update for the DTE...??
My letter stated it was a recall, I also had the Sirius radio updated.
Was in and out in 35 minutes

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
I finally went in to get mine fixed a few weeks ago. I was hesitant as I figured they'd scratch something or create a squeek. No issues though, at least nothing apparent.
I never use the miles to empty feature or half the other nonsense stuff. Being old school I use the gas gauge and/or the trip odometer.
I still wanted to know how much gas was left when my idiot light reminder came on. I put a small filled gas can and funnel in the car (in case I ran out of gas) and drove it low till the light came on yesterday. The light came on just barely below the 1/8 mark on the gauge fyi. I drove another 7 miles before getting gas. The tank then took 15.95 gallons to fill.
So it appears all is well, at least good enough for me now that I know. I'll probably never see the idiot light come on again.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6r
102 Posts
It's listed on the US government web sites as a recall, so it will absolutely show that until it's completed.

that's fine - I can have it taken care of when/if I ever sell the car ;) to me it's not really a 'safety' issue - and for them to have to remove part of the dashboard is ridiculous - it's a 2017 - they should have known then there would be updates needed at some point and they should have made it 'idiot proof' for the dealer technicians... :/

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
138 Posts
I had the DTE recall work done on my 2018 3.6R Touring about a month ago, since I was at the dealer for service anyway. My MO for all prior cars has been to fill the tank when the gauge hits 1/4 full, so doing it for the Outback wasn't any different. But I did know from experience that some of my prior cars would have A LOT of gas left in the tank (up to 3 gallons) even with the warning light on and gauge near empty. This isn't a rigorous check by any means, but with the gauge at 1/4 yesterday, I put 13.8 gallons into the Outback. That's almost right on the nose for a 18.5 gallon tank, which really surprised me. I guess I'll start paying attention to the DTE readout, to see how closely it matches.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5L w/ Eyesight & moonroof (Crimson)
70 Posts
I got mine done today while it in for its first oil change. Dash seems fine, but they forgot to hook the trip reset button back up. Luckily, I noticed while I was still in the area that I couldn't toggle to trip B or reset to zero (it was stuck on trip A), so I took it back. Only took about 5 min for them to fix, and they were very embarrassed and apologetic. LOL

On the plus side, they also did a head unit software update, and this may be anecdotal, but it seems like Android Auto is connecting and available to use much faster than it has been. (One day last week, it wouldn't even connect at all.)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6r
102 Posts
I got mine done today while it in for its first oil change. Dash seems fine, but they forgot to hook the trip reset button back up. Luckily, I noticed while I was still in the area that I couldn't toggle to trip B or reset to zero (it was stuck on trip A), so I took it back. Only took about 5 min for them to fix, and they were very embarrassed and apologetic. LOL

On the plus side, they also did a head unit software update, and this may be anecdotal, but it seems like Android Auto is connecting and available to use much faster than it has been. (One day last week, it wouldn't even connect at all.)

another reason for me Not to take it in yet - seems ot be causing more problems...it seems to me that they should not be forgetting to plug things back in.... too bad they can't update my head unit to actually get Android Auto :( but it's not avail on the 2017...

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
67 Posts
I had the recall done on my 2017 a couple of weeks ago. The only change I have noticed is fuel mileage is reported as a snap shot (real time) it used to be calculated from when I started the car to when I shut the car off. You see some crazy high numbers when coasting or when engine is under no load. It also takes longer after a fill up to to show miles to empty. No new squeaks or rattles.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring, 2005 WRX
233 Posts
I had the recall done on my 2017 a couple of weeks ago. The only change I have noticed is fuel mileage is reported as a snap shot (real time) it used to be calculated from when I started the car to when I shut the car off. You see some crazy high numbers when coasting or when engine is under no load. It also takes longer after a fill up to to show miles to empty. No new squeaks or rattles.
There are two display settings for mpg, one is "real-time" and one is averaged. You are looking at the real-time one. Scroll through your display.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
78 Posts
The manual states, "The low fuel warning light illuminates when the tank is nearly empty approximately 2.6 US gal (10.0 liters, or 2.2 Imp gal)." So the real test is to simply drive until the low fuel light goes on and then fill the tank within a mile or so. If the tank takes 16 gallons to fill up, the gauge/light are correct.

Fuel capacity is 18.5 gallons. So, 2.6 remaining + 16 fill up = 18.6 which is close enough to the 18.5 gallon capacity.
Guys, I finally got the chance to test this after my fuel gauge was fixed a few months ago.

• Low fuel light illuminated at the 1/8 mark
  • I drove two miles to a gas station
  • The tank took 15.354 gallons to fill up
So it looks like maybe the Subaru engineers are telling the low fuel light to turn on with around 3.1 gallons remaining, instead of the 2.6 stated in the manual. They gave us an extra half gallon of warning!

Check out these photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
That's interesting. I haven't had the recall update yet. I ran really low on gas yesterday, but the low fuel light never came on. The DTE was at 60 miles. It took 17.1 gallons to fill. It sounds like the light should have come on well before I filled up. Since I had only 1.4 gallons remaining officially, the DTE should have been 30 miles or less.

I usually don't let it get that low, but circumstances piled up, and I just didn't get to the station sooner. I have about 1000 miles before my 18,000 mile service is due, and that's when I was going to get the recall addressed. I now know for certain I can't let it get that low again. I am amazed the low fuel light hadn't come on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you do run out of fuel. How much cranking is involved after putting gas in the tank and is there any damage . Just wondering because I wanted to see how long my car went after it indicated low fuel.

I know I don't dare run the fuel out on my Ram with the CTD. You have to bleed the injectors and stuff to get it going again.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,521 Posts
Just wondering because I wanted to see how long my car went after it indicated low fuel.
Bad idea. Running the tank dry can damage the fuel pump. (This is not just a Subaru thing.) The fuel pump is both cooled and lubricated by the fuel flowing through it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bad idea. Running the tank dry can damage the fuel pump. (This is not just a Subaru thing.)
Sigh....Always something wrong with any brilliant ideas I come up with. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure issue was fixed for 19, I started a trip with 70 miles til empty then got home with 50 left. Went to go pick kids up and it was at 0. Thought it would go up but it didn't. Went about 5 miles before getting gas. It seems once the gas light goes off you need to get gas quickly.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,141 Posts
Not sure issue was fixed for 19, I started a trip with 70 miles til empty then got home with 50 left. Went to go pick kids up and it was at 0. Thought it would go up but it didn't. Went about 5 miles before getting gas. It seems once the gas light goes off you need to get gas quickly.
Not so with my 2017 2.5i. While I fill up asap, I have noticed I have a least a gallon left when the light comes on.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6r
102 Posts
So help me here - I got the recall for the DTE software update - I take it that is diff that this Fuel Gauge recall????
BUT, real question is - for the DTE Software Update, do they sill have to take part of the dash apart?????

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
76 Posts
So help me here - I got the recall for the DTE software update - I take it that is diff that this Fuel Gauge recall????
BUT, real question is - for the DTE Software Update, do they sill have to take part of the dash apart?????
Same thing. And yes, they pull the instrument cluster to reprogram the fuel gauge. Mine got done yesterday

301 - 320 of 374 Posts