Subaru Outback Forums banner

321 - 340 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
So help me here - I got the recall for the DTE software update - I take it that is diff that this Fuel Gauge recall????
BUT, real question is - for the DTE Software Update, do they sill have to take part of the dash apart?????
The DTE recall (Distance unTil Empty) is the fuel gauge recall, same thing. The instrument cluster is removed from the dash to do this. It doesn't take long. It requires a few screws and connectors to be removed from the cluster. It isn't brain surgery. Ask for a tech who has done a few of these for your peace of mind. A good tech can pull your cluster out in a couple of minutes. Replacing it is simple too.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Had the recall done on Tuesday. Filled my tank today. Full shows 1/8 tank over the F mark, so I'm guessing the gauge calibration is still beyond Subaru's engineering might.

Don't mind me, I'm still irritated by the list of items that have to get reset after a wheel alignment. Plain dumb, IMO.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had the recall done on Tuesday. Filled my tank today. Full shows 1/8 tank over the F mark, so I'm guessing the gauge calibration is still beyond Subaru's engineering might.
I'm in my 70's, and don't recall any car I've ever owned that didn't show over the "F" after filling the tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got mine done this morning along with 18,000 mile service. Took a little over an hour. Also had them disable the lift gate opening from the Key Fob. I have had a couple of cases where I have come to my car (once parked on the street in front of a house, the other in my garage) where the lift gate was just open. It could have been something where I tried to put it down and it popped back open, but it freaked me out so I had them disable it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My letter stated it was a recall, I also had the Sirius radio updated.
Was in and out in 35 minutes
The letter I received is "Subaru Service Program WUD-89". Nowhere in the notice does the word "Recall" appear. And, it states multiple times that the service is a "software update". Obviously, since many folks report the techs pulling the gauge cluster, it's more than a software update.

I rarely allow my fuel tank to get below 1/2...... might blow this off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Obviously, since many folks report the techs pulling the gauge cluster, it's more than a software update.
It is just a software update, but a technician has to pull the gauge cluster to access the particular connector used to do the update.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
The letter I received is "Subaru Service Program WUD-89". Nowhere in the notice does the word "Recall" appear.
Any Subaru service bulletin with "Program/Campaign" in the title is probably a mandatory recall. You can also tell from the Subaru document code. A normal Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is identified by a numeric code (e.g. 15-216-18), while a mandatory recall Campaign is identified by an alphanumeric document code (e.g. WTW-82). A Subaru "Campaign" will also be associated with an NHTSA recall: In this case, Subaru "Program/Campaign" documents WTW-82 and WUD-89 correspond to NHTSA recall "Campaign Number" 18V773000.

Obviously, since many folks report the techs pulling the gauge cluster, it's more than a software update.
It is indeed a firmware update, but the module it resides in was never intended to be updated in the field. Thus the need for special procedures.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
First results after the update.

15.443 gallons on the fill-up so there was 3.057 left in the tank.

27.9 off the mpg display, 26.679 according to Fuelly, so about 4.5% error. If the dealership will put the corrections in for free I may ask them to adjust with SSM.

70 DTE with 3.057 gallons still in the tank. Per the car's mpg, 3.057 x 27.9 = 85.29 miles to empty. From Fuelly 3.057 x 26.679 = 81.56 mpg miles to empty. So the DTE was between 11.5 and 15.29 miles off.

The gauge was 1/8 so, 0.125 x 18.5 = 2.3125 gal, vs. 3.057 in the tank, so 0.7445 gallons off.

Be curious to see how it goes.

I was happy they've done enough of them that it only took a half hour and there was zero damage to the dash or cluster. Glad I waited.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got mine just before I headed out on the trip I'm on. So far it is fairly accurate. Or close enough my my mental calculations. So I'm happy it is better and nothing got messed up in the process.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Got mine done this morning along with 18,000 mile service. Took a little over an hour. Also had them disable the lift gate opening from the Key Fob. I have had a couple of cases where I have come to my car (once parked on the street in front of a house, the other in my garage) where the lift gate was just open. It could have been something where I tried to put it down and it popped back open, but it freaked me out so I had them disable it.
Didn't know that was an available option. We have also had the lift gate come open inadvertently when parked in front of our home.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The self opening lift gate problem may not be totally your Subaru's fault. I had a Honda Accord whose trunk would frequently open by itself while it was parked in my garage or driveway. My neighbor, who had a Chevy SUV of some kind, moved and the problem went away with her and never returned. I think her keyfob would sometimes open my trunk. The dealer may tell you this is impossible but I think it sometimes happens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay, so I had the update done two weeks ago, basically two days before a 10 day road trip. So a couple of times I checked the computer mpg vs. calculating it myself, distance to empty vs. gallons left at various levels of being empty, and finally distance to empty when the light came on and how accurate that was. All were very close to expected. Light came on at 60 to go. All the times I added fuel, the mpg and gallons remaining calculated out to very close to distance to empty.

Of course, I'll still be a trip odometer person, but I'm happy with the update.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think her keyfob would sometimes open my trunk. The dealer may tell you this is impossible but I think it sometimes happens.
I know it's possible. I used to have a Buick Enclave. Twice, when unlocking the car in a parking lot, a nearby Subaru would also react to the Buick keyfob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had the car service and they supposed fixed that and the harmon-cardon fix..........really wouldn't know if it's been fixed
I did fill the car up with the gas gage a 1/8th it took 15 or so gallons, so I guess when it hits that point I have three gallons left

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had my fuel gauge recall addressed today, along with the entertainment/nav screeen recall. Only took about an hour. Glad to have them behind me.

Really like Gillman.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is the service procedure for the one-hour fuel gauge recall? This is what I have from the NHTSA site: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCRIT-18V773-4380.pdf and it shows the entire gauge cluster being sent back to SOA and under #10 on that page states that "If the combination meter is not reinstalled into the matching vehicle, serious
immobilizer concerns will result that may not be recoverable" There must be a new procedure if they're doing this in an hour. Are they installing someone else's rebuilt cluster? Or not actually replacing the cluster but just some smaller part of it?

I'm not real worried, as mine is a lease and unless they get these radio problems worked out (or extend that warranty to 10/100K like the transmission) I won't be keeping it. I've read tales of rattles after the recall - is that still a concern? That'd bother me to no end. My dealership is a decently large and likely has a tech that does a couple of these every day, but I've had incompetent service from them before with my previous Outback. First world problems, I suppose!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had ours done today took about an hour. Only had to do the software updates for the fuel gauge recall. I believe initially they were sending them in so they can run the diagnostics and determine the problem. Now they seem to have a quick fix for the update.

321 - 340 of 372 Posts
About this Discussion
371 Replies
123 Participants
ELCID86
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing