Subaru Outback Forums banner

341 - 360 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had mine done some time ago and all was well. It was coming on with 3 or so gallons everytime. Now, not so much. I let it go this time to see how low it would be before the warning came on. Nothing, nada. I knew I was very close to running out, and sure enough, when I filled up it took almost 17 gallons and the gauge was at exactly 1/8. Not a big deal if you are paying attention, but it could get some people into trouble. I am going to keep my eye on it, and I guess go back to filling up at 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I posted this before but just a reminder, when you have the fuel gauge recall done, before you leave the dealership, make sure you reset Trip A and B. If it doesn't work, that means they didn't plug it in properly when they did the Fuel Gauge recall. While I am pleased with the work that was done a few months back, I reset the Trip A/B and it would not reset to zero. I went back into the service center and they verified that they hadn't hooked it back up properly, took about ten minutes, they apologized but save yourself a return trip to the dealership and test it before you leave. Just an F.Y.I.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Recall results 7-1-19

After I had the recall done I ran the tank down low to check.

Warning light came on with indicator on 1/8 mark. Filled up within 5 miles and had 2.5 gallons left in tank. DTE was at 60 miles to go. It now appears the DTE and the fuel gauge are in sync and fairly close to being accurate at the 1/8 mark.

ref: Previously the light came on just to low side of 1/8 mark and only had 1.2 gallons left in tank.

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts

Warning light came on with indicator on 1/8 mark. Filled up within 5 miles and had 2.5 gallons left in tank. DTE was at 60 miles to go. It now appears the DTE and the fuel gauge are in sync and fairly close to being accurate at the 1/8 mark.

ref: Previously the light came on just to low side of 1/8 mark and only had 1.2 gallons left in tank.
Why?

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So at the 1/8 mark it shows a DTE of 60 miles remaining? Does that mean at the Empty mark it should run out of gas. Or will it have 1-2 gallons in it when it hits the E mark. I usually fill it up by the time it gets to a 1/4 left just more curious if I ever have to run it lower how far I can really get.:grin2:

·
Registered
576 Posts
So at the 1/8 mark it shows a DTE of 60 miles remaining? Does that mean at the Empty mark it should run out of gas. Or will it have 1-2 gallons in it when it hits the E mark. I usually fill it up by the time it gets to a 1/4 left just more curious if I ever have to run it lower how far I can really get.:grin2:
DTE is pretty accurate now since the recall; you will run out on empty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wife had the work done... haven't driven it in a couple weeks. Park the car in the garage, shifter in P. Press the Ole button start.. shuts off.. Open the door ... ding ding ding Door Ajar. Ask the wife, when did that start? after the recall... Back to the dealer

·
Registered
144 Posts
MPG check after recall...my results.

Prior to this recall my MPG "estimate" had always been 4-5% too high. On a recent trip of 400+ miles the readout was 30.2 MPG. My calculation at fill-up was 30.9 MPG.

Possibly the recall added a bit more accuracy to the readout. Time will tell.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Had the recall work done in late June. Here's my observations:

Time to Empty : Now is very accurate. At 1/8 of a tank, I got the low fuel warning light. Went to fill it up within 5 miles and it took 15.6 gallons. Time to Empty read 80 miles. I was averaging 32mpg, on average, so with 2.4 gallons in the tank I had, roughly, 80 miles of range left.

Overall Fuel Economy : I just completed a 3000 mile road trip and kept close tabs on fuel economy. I compared the amount of gas needed at each fill up (and then divided that by the miles drove since the last fill up) with the mpg the trip computer reported in-between each fill up (I reset the trip computer "A" after each fill up). I found the trip computer accurate within about .5mpg. Can't really complain about that.

So overall, the fix seems to work quite nicely. Was quickly done, too - they did it during an oil change.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I haven't had the gas gauge recall done yet so I try to fill up at 1/4 tank. I always check my gas mileage with my phone calculator. The car consistently says 1.3 mpg more than I actually get. It will be nice to have more accurate gauges after the recall.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had the recall fixed yesterday and the gauge was slightly above the 1/2 tank mark and now it's slightly below the 1/2 tank mark. So that should make the gauge needle more accurate since it was really on empty when it was at the 1/8th tank mark before. I give Subaru credit they make good on their goof ups.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since the recall, my DTE and fuel gauge itself has been pretty darned accurate. But yesterday, since my last fillup, my average mileage meter and the instant indicator is acting screwy - it is showing complete yellow when parked and instantly jumps to the full yellow with just a light press on the accelerator. Anybody else had this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
Since the recall, my DTE and fuel gauge itself has been pretty darned accurate. But yesterday, since my last fillup, my average mileage meter and the instant indicator is acting screwy - it is showing complete yellow when parked and instantly jumps to the full yellow with just a light press on the accelerator. Anybody else had this?

Yeah I noticed that as well but haven't really been giving it to much attention since I never really did anyway. But now I have something else to look at. The full mark is still the same as before I had mine fixed below.

·
Registered
572 Posts
After getting the recalls fixed. The low fuel warning light came on just below the 1/8th of a tank mark & I went to the next gas station to fill up. The last time this happened I did the same thing & I put in 18.2 gallons or 0.3 gallons from empty (18.5). This time I still had 3 gallons not 0.3 gallons left. So Subaru has fixed the gauge as far as I'm concerned. I then got on the parkway & the DTE showed me getting 35.7 mpg. 20190731_152427.jpg 20190731_152815.jpg 20190731_154304.jpg
20190731_152427.jpg
20190731_152815.jpg
20190731_154304.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine appears to have returned to normal - odd. At the same time, the car also felt sluggish. Electronic burp, perhaps?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Mine appears to have returned to normal - odd. At the same time, the car also felt sluggish. Electronic burp, perhaps?

Normal? As in good normal or old bad normal?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Normal? As in good normal or old bad normal?
Good normal - it was behaving strangely for a couple days. The fuel meter may have actually been accurate. The car honestly felt sluggish on acceleration and a little hesitant. Perhaps the ECU and such was accommodating bad gas or the change in environment- I had just come back from a cross-country trip. The fuel mixtures our west may be different and it took a half tank of fuel or so for it to adjust. I’d never seen the consumption meter in the yellow so much nor moving there so rapidly. It also wouldn’t go full green when I was coasting. Seems OK now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good normal - it was behaving strangely for a couple days. The fuel meter may have actually been accurate. The car honestly felt sluggish on acceleration and a little hesitant. Perhaps the ECU and such was accommodating bad gas or the change in environment- I had just come back from a cross-country trip. The fuel mixtures our west may be different and it took a half tank of fuel or so for it to adjust. I’d never seen the consumption meter in the yellow so much nor moving there so rapidly. It also wouldn’t go full green when I was coasting. Seems OK now.

Yes I noticed a let's say less smooth drive as well. There was like a slight hesitation when stepping on the gas pedal, like something was amiss or different. I think they disconnected the battery so it might be the ECU re-learn going on. Sorry Typo I forgot to hit reply

341 - 360 of 372 Posts
About this Discussion
371 Replies
123 Participants
ELCID86
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing