Subaru Outback Forums banner

361 - 372 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had the fix done. Does anyone know what do they physically do to update the software? I had little white flakes of something on both sides of the steering column afterwards. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had mine done some time ago and all was well. It was coming on with 3 or so gallons everytime. Now, not so much. I let it go this time to see how low it would be before the warning came on. Nothing, nada. I knew I was very close to running out, and sure enough, when I filled up it took almost 17 gallons and the gauge was at exactly 1/8. Not a big deal if you are paying attention, but it could get some people into trouble. I am going to keep my eye on it, and I guess go back to filling up at 1/4 tank.
First post since the overhaul on the site here. I kinda liked the old site better.

I just had mine done a month ago and while mine worked just like yours, my new outcome is like yours. I usually don't let it go all the way to empty except on rare occasions of memory lapse, just want to get home, etc...

·
Registered
130 Posts
After getting the recalls fixed. The low fuel warning light came on just below the 1/8th of a tank mark & I went to the next gas station to fill up. The last time this happened I did the same thing & I put in 18.2 gallons or 0.3 gallons from empty (18.5). This time I still had 3 gallons not 0.3 gallons left. So Subaru has fixed the gauge as far as I'm concerned. I then got on the parkway & the DTE showed me getting 35.7 mpg. View attachment 469016
Hey, wait, your Outback came with a gas pump??? Where was that option?? Lucky you. 😁

·
Registered
572 Posts
If it did I would lower my price.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well I had the recall fixed and the guesstimeter still says 1,1 mpg more than I actually got. That't better than 1.9 mpg but still not 100%. But we knew that already. Just read all the disclaimers in the manual for all the other tech gadgets in this car. The manual would be half the size without all the disclaimers. Anyway it was a noble effort on Subaru's part to give it a go to try to fix their oops. Thanks Soobie doobie doo!!! Who knows, this was my 1st time checking my mpg after the fix so it might get better still.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well I had the recall fixed and the guesstimeter still says 1,1 mpg more than I actually got. That't better than 1.9 mpg but still not 100%. But we knew that already. Just read all the disclaimers in the manual for all the other tech gadgets in this car. The manual would be half the size without all the disclaimers. Anyway it was a noble effort on Subaru's part to give it a go to try to fix their oops. Thanks Soobie doobie doo!!! Who knows, this was my 1st time checking my mpg after the fix so it might get better still.
Overestimating MPG isn't what recall addresses. It was to correct fuel low warning coming on about a gallon or two too late

·
Registered
144 Posts
My MPG "estimate" had always been about 1.5 mpg too high (about 5% high). After the reprogramming I've checked mileage 4 / 5 times. Readout ranged from almost right on to only about .5 to .6 mpg high.

I'd say that whatever Subaru re-calibrated also improved the MPG "estimate" along with the DTE "estimate".

·
Registered
572 Posts
Overestimating MPG isn't what recall addresses. It was to correct fuel low warning coming on about a gallon or two too late
Yup that was addressed. The low fuel light now comes on with 3 gallons left in the tank vs. 0.3 gallons left in the tank before the recall fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm almost to the point of astonishment that this is an issue, personally--between people freaking out about it being a safety issue, people who rely on a guesstimate of miles remaining based on mpg, etc (if you think it's any better than that, I'm sure I've got something here I can sell you), and folks that think some major fix (beyond a simple software update that makes a calculation slightly differently), it's somewhat...frightening to me. I mean, there was once a time when the needle on the dash was all you had to go by, not "xx miles" left, or light to remind you that you haven't been paying attention. I've personally had a habit of figuring out about how much gas is in my car when the needle gets just above a quarter tank--fill the car up, subtract amount of gas put in from total fuel capacity, and now you know about how much further you could have gone...and from there, who cares what light is on what says "xx miles". People should be using their brains when they drive a lot more than they do. :-/
Not everyone thinks like an engineer

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Finally got the car in for the recall. Went in with 70 miles to empty, came out with 40 MTE. Took 16.38 gallons to fill it up. (I do think SofA should have topped off the tank for our inconvenience. Oh well, my wife will feel more confident about driving to SC now with a more accurate gauge.

Before:

After:

BTW, I filled up at Wawa at it was more convenient (and I don’t like driving with the low fuel light on), and didn’t know “no ethanol “ fuel was an option.

361 - 372 of 372 Posts
About this Discussion
371 Replies
123 Participants
ELCID86
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing