Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited, all dressed
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 8” 2018 infotainment system has reduced the content of the “Car Info” segment. Gone are average speed, fuel history and the display consolidating driving time, instantaneous and average consumption, remaining fuel, etc.. Added is a graphic pitch display with drivetrain usage (useful in off road areas, I suppose). I hope an update adds back some of the nice eco stuff they removed from the 2015 and subsequent versions of car info screen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Fuelly for that - and to get a handle on the factory programmed optimism with respect to fuel consumption. I had the dealer put in a 7% correction in my 2015 to improve the system’s honesty. ��

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,289 Posts
I use Fuelly for that - and to get a handle on the factory programmed optimism with respect to fuel consumption. I had the dealer put in a 7% correction in my 2015 to improve the system’s honesty. ��
I'm going to have the dealer alter mine in the other direction so I can brag about getting over 40mpg and show my lifetime average as proof.

>:)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Is there any consumer software/cable to allow stuff like this? With my VW/Audi products I have VCDS (formerly known as VAG-COM) that allows me to change dozens of things. I was really hoping to find something similar for my Outback.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
550 Posts
Is there any consumer software/cable to allow stuff like this? With my VW/Audi products I have VCDS (formerly known as VAG-COM) that allows me to change dozens of things. I was really hoping to find something similar for my Outback.
If you know how to get to dealer/maintenance mode, you can adjust it yourself.. there were few threads here discussing the right combination of buttons to get you there.

·
Registered
My wifes 2016 2.5 LTD W/ Everything -and 2" Eco-hitch
189 Posts
Wow I’ll have to check my ‘16 for this, didn’t know!��

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stuff planned - but didn’t have time to do?

It is odd that the Car Info/Driving Statistics screen does not contain any driving statistics! It contains vehicle status: drive train power routing and fore-aft pitch of the car. These more properly belong on a Vehicle Monitor screen.

It suggests Harmon/Subaru had planned to present real statistics (like a fuel history graph, average consumption, average speed, distance driven, time since starting, etc.) but never got around to programming it.

Deadlines, deadlines. Maybe in an update?

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
yep, gone is lifetime average too.
Did lifetime average even work in the models '16 or beyond? It was good for only a few thousand miles, then started climbing until reaching 70-something MPG, where it stuck, on the '15s. Mine has been rising steadily for the last 10,000 miles or so and currently showing about 62 MPG; it was reset about 17,000 miles ago and worked correctly for about 7,000 miles.

I suppose just dumping it was easier than fixing the code.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,154 Posts
Did lifetime average even work in the models '16 or beyond? It was good for only a few thousand miles, then started climbing until reaching 70-something MPG, where it stuck, on the '15s.
The comprehensive firmware update for Fujitsu Ten head units, per TSB 15-205-16, actually fixed that problem. Lifetime Average now works as expected in our 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback.

Reactions: skipw

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
The comprehensive firmware update for Fujitsu Ten head units, per TSB 15-205-16, actually fixed that problem. Lifetime Average now works as expected in our 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback.
Thanks for the info!

Any downsides to that firmware update? Sometimes they break more than they fix, and the HU has been generally trouble-free (knock wood) so far.

I'll check into that when I take it in for service and the charging system TSB.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,154 Posts
Any downsides to that firmware update?
None on our Legacy or Outback, although we don't normally use all of the HU functionality available ... e.g. I don't do much with the Bluetooth phone connectivity other than making and receiving phone calls. About the only problems reported here and on the Legacy forum have been with the installation of the second file set; it sometimes take two attempts to get it to install completely/correctly. Just follow the installation instructions carefully, including the final file version check, and I think you will be pleased with the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts