Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I bought myself a 2010 Outback after my 2002 finally kicked the bucket a few months ago.

The service manual calls for servicing the fuel injection system at 96,000 kilometers (60,000 miles). Is this something I can do with Sea Foam? Is it really as simple as pouring a can into your gas tank?

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
No and No if you want the job done right. Sea Foam can do a pretty good job but doesn't really replace a proper fuel injection service.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
in any used car purchase:

dumping a regular $7 can of seafoam on a full tank of fresh fuel is a good thing.

as it cleans up any of the old gas/ water that is leftover from however long it was sitting before you got it.

_____

people occasionally type of fuel injection serving (but not much).: search it up here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in any used car purchase:

dumping a regular $7 can of seafoam on a full tank of fresh fuel is a good thing.

as it cleans up any of the old gas/ water that is leftover from however long it was sitting before you got it.

_____

people occasionally type of fuel injection serving (but not much).: search it up here.

Good to know. Looks like a lot of people here are saying the Fuel Injection Service isn't too important with the quality of gas these days. Lots of $$$ for the dealerships too! Lol. Couldn't hurt to run a can of Sea Foam through the gas tank though

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
Good to know. Looks like a lot of people here are saying the Fuel Injection Service isn't too important with the quality of gas these days. Lots of $$$ for the dealerships too! Lol. Couldn't hurt to run a can of Sea Foam through the gas tank though
I bought a fancy $13 aerosol can a couple years ago. I have yet to use it on anything though. I think I will trade it to one of my mechanic buddies that find use for it with a customer car. (spraying right into the intake).

______

the regular cans:
I use as a stabilizer in all my 5 gallon can gas.

and occasionally I need to run it in a small carb engine. (like a gas generator with a rising and falling idle. as I forgot to turn off the gas and run it dry, and some dried gunk is varnishing over things. .

just need to start on new gas, (as seafoam just does not have enough kick for a start). ....and as its running while still cold pump the tank down to nothing by hand, and then dump a whole can into the tank so the seafoam is the only thing in there with the tiny bit of gas, ...and the thing will start to idle smooth in 5 minutes again.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
Reminiscent of the Fram filter commercial from the 70's.....you can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Nothing wrong with a little preventative maintenance....more owners should give it a try...

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
I have wasted my money before on "fuel injector service" where the shop pumped in this fluid to the fuel-rail and the car ran rough, coughed and smoked for a half-hour. I did not notice any appreciable difference in vehicle performance and was out $200 at the end of the process.

I do add a can of SeaFoam to the fuel system every six months or so and use a can of the spray down the air inlet. The greatest performance impact was in cleaning the MAF sensor, replacing the air filter and sometimes the spark plugs. YMMV

If injectors are plugged up with something like dirt then just running any sort of fluid through the system is not going to do the job. If someone wants to try to restore injectors they usually remove them from the car and use ultrasonic cleaning to attempt to clean them up. If the spray pattern is still bad after they test them on a jig (usually a fish tank aquarium but sometimes just by holding an injector and letting it spray a cloud of fuel in the air) then they need to be replaced.

The injector orifice is really tiny; it does not take much to plug it up or for something to completely mess up the spray pattern.

Never put your finger over the tip of an injector. Unless you do not mind the risk of them needing to amputate your finger after you injected a little bit of fuel in to it.

Reactions: Vungeon

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i no options
35 Posts
i like seafoam ,has never caused a problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reminiscent of the Fram filter commercial from the 70's.....you can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Nothing wrong with a little preventative maintenance....more owners should give it a try...

I'm all for preventative maintenance. I just like having the piece of mind that what I'm paying for is worth it and it's not something I could easily do myself.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
952 Posts
I like Chevron Techron. Easy, relatively inexpensive, and one of the very few fuel injector cleaning products that can actually make a difference. All of our vehicles get a 20-ounce bottle of Techron down the hatch every time I perform an oil & filter change.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
I like Chevron Techron. Easy, relatively inexpensive, and one of the very few fuel injector cleaning products that can actually make a difference. All of our vehicles get a 20-ounce bottle of Techron down the hatch every time I perform an oil & filter change.
Agree a bottle of Techron every 5-6k miles is good PM. But an induction service every 50-60,000 miles is also good PM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts