Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I currently have a 2006 Outback 2.5i and I test drove a 2011 Outback 3.6R yesterday. I was wondering why Subaru got rid of the analog temperature gauge and replaced it with a MPG gauge? Personally I care more about my engine temp than my MPG.

On my 06 I notice the temp go up a bit during extended steep mountain driving. It doesn't get near the red but an analog gauge lets you see small changes better than just a light.

Does anyone know what temp the warning light will come on at?
What other some other opinions on this?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Hey guys,

I currently have a 2006 Outback 2.5i and I test drove a 2011 Outback 3.6R yesterday. I was wondering why Subaru got rid of the analog temperature gauge and replaced it with a MPG gauge? Personally I care more about my engine temp than my MPG.
...Me too. I guess they did it because it was the environmentally friendly thing to do. I bought an ultraguageII and put it in the car. I can now monitor about 65 different engine functions...including my engine temp which runs right around 90 degrees C.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Demographics.<O:p</O:p
Folks care more about gas prices.<O:p</O:p
How many can “read’ a temp gauge, a glaring warning light/alarm is more effective (then it’s too late).<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
573 Posts
Your option is to buy a scangauge as suggested, or the 2013's have a temperature gauge in that location, replacing the redundant milage information.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is classic example of an "idiot light" in a car. lol Once the light is on it's already too late.
You can see your MPG already in the display with the clock. The whole fuel economy thing is kinda getting out of hand.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might consider one of those gauges if I decide on a 3.6 Outback. I am comparing it to the WRX as they are very close on engine specs, but the Outback weighs more and doesn't quite have the "pull" the WRX has. The Outback 3.6 did do quite well at holding 75 mph on a 6% grade though. Even in top gear :)

<.<
>.>
It'd be awesome if Subaru made a turbo version of the 3.6 *cough* *cough*<cough> <cough></cough></cough>

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is classic example of an "idiot light" in a car. lol Once the light is on it's already too late.
You can see your MPG already in the display with the clock. The whole fuel economy thing is kinda getting out of hand.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might consider one of those gauges if I decide on a 3.6 Outback. I am comparing it to the WRX as they are very close on engine specs, but the Outback weighs more and doesn't quite have the "pull" the WRX has. The Outback 3.6 did do quite well at holding 75 mph on a 6% grade though. Even in top gear :)

<.<
>.>
I'd be awesome if Subaru made a turbo version of the 3.6 *cough* *cough*<cough> <cough></cough></cough>
If you have an Android phone, you can buy a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II reader (about $15.00) and Torque Pro app ($4.95). If you buy 3.6R Limited, it comes with an analog temp gauge and a digital MPG gauge.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have an Android phone, you can buy a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II reader (about $15.00) and Torque Pro app ($4.95). If you buy 3.6R Limited, it comes with an analog temp gauge and a digital MPG gauge.
The 3.6 limited just costs so much. I could nearly buy an STI wagon for that price.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would have agreed with this when I first bought the car. But after two years with the mileage gauge, I really like it. I use it to train my left foot to optimize fuel consumption. It's saved me a lot of money. So one thumb up for that poor, misunderstood gadget.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I find it somewhat useful since I have the 6mt. It helps to know which gear to use for the best mileage. With that being said, I'd much rather have a coolant temp gauge or even a volt meter then the econo gauge.

I would absolutely hate the econo gauge if I had the CVT.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I really like it. I use it to train my left foot to optimize fuel consumption. It's saved me a lot of money. So one thumb up for that poor, misunderstood gadget.
Same here. My foot is trained so well now, that I get between 31 and 33 mpg on freeway driving (at about 68 mph, allowed around here is 65), Driving around town still gets me to about 27 mpg.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to retrofit the better 2013 Limited Gauge Cluster to a pre-2013 or non-Limited Gen4?

Thoughts?

I would LOVE to do this if it is possible...
Just buy an ultraguageII. I have one in our OB. See pic below. It is showing just one of 5 screens that I have programed into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was confused in the beginning.. then played a little "training your foot" game, now I just don't even notice it's there. Only in the mornings when it's cold I automatically look at that corner for the temp gauge to see if it's warm enough to actually benefit from running a heater.

Yes, I would love to know if it's plug and play with a newer cluster

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The 3.6 limited just costs so much. I could nearly buy an STI wagon for that price.
That's funny, a few weeks ago I was looking at an STI thinking....

An STI costs so much, I could buy an Outback 3.6 Limited SAP for that price!

I guess if I were younger, didn't have kids and didn't have stuff to haul around the STI would be sweet. Or maybe a BRZ instead, sure wish they'd put more HP in the BRZ.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
14 Participants
Nickshu
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing