Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic replaced the fuel pump in my 06 Baja. He tells me the gas gauge doesn't work. Is the sensor in the pump? He says not... they are two different units. Well if that's the case, then why is my gas gauge faulty. Man,am I confused.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Most intank fuel pump assemblies also contain the fuel level sensor as a part of the assembly.

If your vehicle has a fuel pump assembly then maybe the mechanic has mistakenly caused a problem with the fuel level sensor while he/she was replacing the fuel pump.

Seagrass

·
Registered
78 Posts
The gauge worked before he put the pump in? On the ones I have replaced it can be tricky to get the pump assembly in and out of the hole in the fuel tank without getting the fuel level arm and load all hung up. The arm and sensor are pretty delicate and can be damaged if you just yank the pump out or shove it back in.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes, the level sensor is attached to the pump "hanger"/assembly. It can easily be bent, damaged, or simply unplugged from the bottom of the top plate.

Luckily, access is pretty easy and no real mess if you let it get down to 1/4 tank or less. You can also check the resistance at the harness to see if it's actually reading correctly and not an unrelated issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts