Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2017 2.5 Filled it with gas for the first time last night and the display went up to 903 kms until empty.
Could that really be the range on a tank of gas?

·
Registered
Mine 2017 2.5 Outback Premium Mortegi MR117 Pirelli Scorpions / Wife's 2020 Impreza Hatchback Sport
271 Posts
When I am out west in Colorado and Utah where the elevation is higher and the computer cuts back the fuel to correct for thin air I have seen well over 500 miles per tank.
(900 kms= roughly 559 miles)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,016 Posts
We just bought a 2017 2.5 Filled it with gas for the first time last night and the display went up to 903 kms until empty.
It will adjust mileage and DTE to your driving conditions as you use it.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
499 Posts
Yes in perfect conditions it could be but normally probably not it adjusts as you drive a bit

·
Registered
957 Posts
Individual mpg’s and range will vary by geography, topography, fuel formulation and ambient temperature. Different locales and regions of the country have mandated fuel formulations that affect fuel economy and consequently range. E10 and additive formulations in California are different than in the Carolinas or even in northern New England for example. With summer formulation, I have been able to repeatedly drive round trip from Nashua NH to Lee Maine (17 miles north of Lincoln Maine) On a single tank of gas - check it out on a map.... I’ve also driven from NH to FL and got as good mpg‘s and range. After tanking up in NC, I experienced increased mpg’s because the fuel formulation contained less additives and no E10.

so, Getting range from other owners is only going to be relevant to your geographical location. Otherwise you may be left wondering why you’re not getting the same.

fwiw, my mpg’s and range always declines about 10% with winter formulation and low temps

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
580 Posts
I've never been close to the computer's estimate and my final calculated mpg.

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Well maybe within 4mpg

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,999 Posts
That doesn't seem impossible at all. That would be about 562 miles. If you could use all of the 18.5 gallons that would mean getting 30.4mpg to go that far. That is easily achievable. Even if you use a more realistic 18 gallons you could go that far getting a little over 31mpg which is also very possible.

The highest I ever saw mine was last fall. At 110 miles after filling up I was still showing 650 miles to empty on the dash and 37.6mpg, which would be a range of 760 miles (1223km) for that tank if those conditions continued.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
That doesn't seem impossible at all. That would be about 562 miles. If you could use all of the 18.5 gallons that would mean getting 30.4mpg to go that far. That is easily achievable. Even if you use a more realistic 18 gallons you could go that far getting a little over 31mpg which is also very possible.

The highest I ever saw mine was last fall. At 110 miles after filling up I was still showing 650 miles to empty on the dash and 37.6mpg, which would be a range of 760 miles (1223km) for that tank if those conditions continued.

View attachment 489238
Possible... In my case maybe when pigs fly and then land on the moon. I can't imagine over 350 miles a tank. I can't imagine 300 in my everyday situation. 280ish

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I'm 11 yrs older and half a liter and 2 cylinders bigger too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts