Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OB XT 2.5
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am having a problem with my 2005 Outback XT. I had issues with it running very poorly at low rpms and low throttle. It goes like crazy when the turbo kicks in, but very poor for just casual driving. I found that the issue is related to where I buy my gas. I always use 91 Octane here in Colorado, but found that if I go to Shell gas station my car runs awesome and anywhere else it runs like crap. Why would it be so sensitive to gas quality? Is it a sign of another problem? Should I have my injectors cleaned or something? One time my wife put 85 in it an oh man, it ran like crap! I do have a VagCom cable and Romraider software, but dont really know how to use it or read the report. Anyhoo, I'd love to hear some ideas to help with my issue since its pretty tough to always buy gas at the same place. Thanks!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
How many miles do you have?
When was the last time you did a "tune-up?" (plugs, fuel filter...)
What oil do you use?
What are the places that you are having bad results? Arco? Costco? *Jimmy's? Do you have the same issues at Chevron/Texaco or other Top Tier stations?
What is the ethanol content of your fuel at those locations and the "good" one?

Sometimes fuel stations don't do a good job of maintaining their tanks which could result in issues. But's it's rare.

Need more info. Then probably more. And we still might not know why.

Maybe you car is just picky? You give her the good stuff and she runs good, and crapy stuff she throws a fit? :p

·
Registered
2005 OB XT 2.5
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I have 168,000 miles on her. I did a tune up about 10K ago. I did air filter and spark plugs. I have not done a fuel filter. That sounds like a good idea. I will look into doing that. I use only Mobil1 every 3750. I find that only Shell 91 octane gas works good in my car. I try like mad to fill up at the gas station by my work. If I go anywhere else I notice the difference right away. It seems to be the low throttle where I notice the sputtering. I've tried BG44k. Any other ideas that might help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts