Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Outback, Stock.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the return of cold arctic air in Colorado, a familiar winter problem has returned to the burb. I noticed a smell of oil or fuel in the cabin last year when driving someone home on one of the coldest day of the year. Knowing that I had to do my head gaskets, I figured the smell was oil or coolant seeping out; however, the smell has returned post head gasket repair prompting me to think its something else.

Driving up into the mountains last weekend I finally put that the smell came with significantly cold weather (seems to be below ~35 F). After a quick search around the forums I found it was either 1.) Valve Heads 2.) The PCV or 3.) Leaky oil line.

Waiting for another cold day and after driving the car for a while I took a look at the oil lines going into the intake manifolds I noticed fuel leaking from driver side fuel intake line (Picture one. You can see the driver side spark plug wires as reference). So I easily found my problem.

So I tighten both screws up (on another colder ass day) and also tightened the passenger side intake (Picture two) as well for good measure (but could only get at one screw for now). Drove the puppy around and no fuel smell!

So the problem is solved, at least for now. My question is, is this a good fix for this? I'm thinking now that tightening up these screws may just build pressure inside the rubber tubing and may possibly corrode the rubbing tubing from the inside.

Does anyone know a better fix or if something else should be done?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,157 Posts
If the leak stopped with tightening the clamps, then just keep an eye on it. If those hoses were disconnected when the head gaskets were replaced then it may just be that they weren't tightened down good on reassembly.

The fuel hoses are designed to hold pressure.

·
Registered
2004, Outback, Stock.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the leak stopped with tightening the clamps, then just keep an eye on it. If those hoses were disconnected when the head gaskets were replaced then it may just be that they weren't tightened down good on reassembly.

The fuel hoses are designed to hold pressure.
Cool sounds good, thanks for the info. Nah, it was leaking both before and after the HG repair. My guess is the cold weather shrinks the fuel line making a gap between it and the rubber hose. I'm guessing the tighting the cold weather really helps for a tighter seal as I got a few turns out of the screws. I think I'll try again later this week when we get into single digit temps and see if it can go further.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
327 Posts
That is a common spot where the fuel starts to leak. Had those leak on both of my 2003 OB and 2006OBXT.

Reactions: Modest Mole
1 - 4 of 4 Posts