Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. New to the forum and have just bought an 01 Outback. Car seems to run very good and is low mileage at 105K. When we bought the car there was only a quarter tank of gas. Yesterday I filled up and yes got a strong gas smell. Read a lot about the fuel filler neck and had convinced myself that was the issue.

Last night I parked the car on the side of my driveway. The way my drive sits, this put the drivers side of the car lower than the passenger side as I live on a hill. This morning I go out and I have a gas leaking onto the ground. Now I am not so sure that it is the fuel filler neck and am wondering if the gas tank may be rusted. From what little I can see under the car, the rust isn't what I would consider that bad.

In my mind, with the fuel filler neck being on the passenger side, and the passenger side sitting higher than the driver side, I wouldn't think that gas would be leaking from that. Of course I have no idea if my thoughts are correct.

Any suggestions from those in the know would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rex

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Any 17 year old fuel line could be naturally suspect.

Spend some quality time with a flashlight and a mirror and you'll see where it's coming from.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
there are 2 access holes on top of the tank - under the rear seat. for the pump and the sub-float.

maybe a gasket or line is leaking there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
any check engine lights or codes. get the codes read ,...maybe a EVAP leak is making a pending code but not turning the light on yet.

on a lift someone should be able to verify where the gas is leaking from exactly.

at this point, rubber hoses and rusty metal ones are suspect. ...BUT in my experience with rust on here, 2000-2004 are not getting tank leaks yet, vs. 1995-99

____

I got a couple "small/ very small" evap leaks/ evap codes on my 2002 rusty pair right now to sort out. no tank leaks, or gas on the ground yet..

I am going to make or borrow a smoke machine as there are no liquid leaks to see. (going to try working with incense smoke / dry ice fog,...vs. just blindly throwing parts at them).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. As of now, not CEL has come on. I haven't checked to see if any codes are stored. Guess I will do some probing and see what I can see.

Rex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts