Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Goodyear to have my tires rotated and they called to say I have carbon buildup and they recommend their 3-part fuel and induction system cleaning. Cost would be $109. I declined until I learn more. He said he removed some hose and there was black carbon that shouldn't be there. I have no idea where in the engine area he did this so cannot verify his observation. Not finding much on google so looking for feedback. I've got 72K on my '15 with 4 high mileage RT trips this year from the midwest -CO 2x, TX, WA.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
He's trying to sell you the Seafoam treatment. If you think you need it (not always clear one does) you can buy it for much less and do it at home yourself. If you Youtube Seafoam, it's pretty spectacular however it's mostly vapor that you're seeing and not crude from your engine or intake system.

That said, if you're using a Top Tier gas and feel the need to clean the intake system such as injectors and fuel system, the Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner works well as does the one from Redline. The one from Royal Purple also gets high marks.

Do it on the tank of gas before you change the oil.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Heck no.

From what I read eons ago the two recommended cleaners were Redline SI-1 and the real Techron (not the fake watered down Techron)

I might pour a bottle into a tank right about 1-2 tanks before I'm due for an oil change every 18,000 or 24,000 miles. And even then it's probably not needed.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 limited Outback
63 Posts
I would be interested to hear where you typically buy gas. From the majors...think$$ or from the small independents...think$?

Gas is all the same till the tanker delivery driver adds a pouch of additive to his tank. Each gasoline company has its's own formula.
Each one has it's own strong points, so theoretically if you switched between all gas companies you could manage to get the best cleaning available. Top tier gas is the label that is supposed to tell you they use a "special" formula cleaner. The off brands either don't bother with an additive or it's not thought to be "special".
I don't know what to think about brands like costco (where I buy the bulk of my gas). The pump claims it is a "top tier", that may be, I don't know. When I'm caught out, that is when I feel good trying another brand.

Anyway could you tell us where you buy gas?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
Top tier gas is the label that is supposed to tell you they use a "special" formula cleaner. The off brands either don't bother with an additive or it's not thought to be "special".
The EPA sets a minimum level of detergents and fuel system cleaners for all automotive gasoline sold in the U.S. Top Tier, which is a voluntary program first established by several auto manufacturers, requires a significantly higher level of those same cleaning additives. Retail brands are free to add (or not add) their own "special formulas" to the mix. In addition, Top Tier specifies higher standards for fuel transport, storage, and retail delivery (e.g. filtration and water separation at the pump) than may be required by EPA and state laws.

See: http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit-control/

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
963 Posts
He said he removed some hose and there was black carbon that shouldn't be there.
The EGR system (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is about the only part of your engine I could imagine a hose being crudded up by carbon. No fuel system cleaning would remove that crud.

A second long-shot would be the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). No carbon should be present here but it can get crudded up by oil, which in turn can crud up the intake. That would NOT be carbon though.

So without even needing to get into the religious war of fuel system cleaners and their efficacy I can't even imagine an actual hose on the engine that would have the possibility of black carbon that a fuel system cleaner would even reach.

To the extent fuel system and induction cleaning clears actual carbon deposits, it's from the combustion chambers and intake valves. No hoses involved.

So... while I agree running a nice PEA-based fuel system cleaner like Red Line SI-1 is a good thing to do every now and then I don't want to lose sight of the actual statement made by the shop. It would appear there's a level of dishonesty involved in order to sell a highly profitable service.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If a US car has engine problems linked to gas and not a mechanical issue the EPA would like to know about it.

Gas in the US is so heavily regulated and clean it amazes me people fall for this BS.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6 Ltd Red/ES,20 mm RSB
353 Posts
I would be interested to hear where you typically buy gas. From the majors...think$$ or from the small independents...think$?

Gas is all the same till the tanker delivery driver adds a pouch of additive to his tank. Each gasoline company has its's own formula.
Each one has it's own strong points, so theoretically if you switched between all gas companies you could manage to get the best cleaning available. Top tier gas is the label that is supposed to tell you they use a "special" formula cleaner. The off brands either don't bother with an additive or it's not thought to be "special".
I don't know what to think about brands like costco (where I buy the bulk of my gas). The pump claims it is a "top tier", that may be, I don't know.

Nothing wrong with Costco gas https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
I recall reading a GM bulletin several years back advising against fuel system cleaning unless to address a specific problem. Dealers continued to push the idea you need to clean your fuel system.
As others have said, use top tier gas. The list of available brands has grown significantly over the years. Even the owner's manual in my '95 S-10 recommended top tier gas when only a few brands were available in 1995.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I recall reading a GM bulletin several years back advising against fuel system cleaning unless to address a specific problem. Dealers continued to push the idea you need to clean your fuel system.
As others have said, use top tier gas. The list of available brands has grown significantly over the years. Even the owner's manual in my '95 S-10 recommended top tier gas when only a few brands were available in 1995.
Must have been some time ago. There are multiple GM TSB's out calling for fuel system cleaning due to issues with carbon build up on direct injection engines and vehicles with the active fuel management system.

·
Registered
2016 Wilderness Green 3.6R
42 Posts
You went to Goodyear to have your tires rotated....
There would be no reason to go anywhere near your engine compartment much less spend time 'removing and inspecting' hoses.
Not only would I decline their up-sell I would find another source for future tire rotations.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
Must have been some time ago. There are multiple GM TSB's out calling for fuel system cleaning due to issues with carbon build up on direct injection engines and vehicles with the active fuel management system.
True but that would be a specific reason as determine by troubleshooting the complaint. Didn't intend to imply fuel system cleaning was never appropriate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You went to Goodyear to have your tires rotated....
There would be no reason to go anywhere near your engine compartment much less spend time 'removing and inspecting' hoses.
Not only would I decline their up-sell I would find another source for future tire rotations.
Well, it's free so I'll put up with their attempts to up-sell.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts

So its free and they are looking under the hood! Good luck with that!!!! Looking forward to future threads asking us if you got ripped off on being sold something......

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
They're being dishonest with you about this now. What makes you think they're going to be trustworthy in the future about other issues?

There are (mostly) competent and (mostly) honest shops out there. Find one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So its free and they are looking under the hood! Good luck with that!!!! Looking forward to future threads asking us if you got ripped off on being sold something......
I buy tires at Goodyear. Nothing else. Get off your f horse and relax. Geez.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts