Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, 5-Speed manual with 50,000 miles on it and have a couple questions. The oil cap says semi-synthetic for the turbo but my friend suggests that I use full synthetic. The last thing I want to do is blow my turbo. Anyone have any opinions on what I should use? Also the manual states oil changes every 3,750 miles when the car is being driven in extreme conditions. After that is states anytime the turbo is being used it is considered an "extreme" condition. Again my friend states that i "should" be able to go 5,000 without any concern. I 've owned many different vehicles however this ismy first turbo and i want this car to last me a long time. Do I gamble on 5,000 or just suck it up and change the oil every 3,750. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had great luck using Rotella 5w-40. It's full synthetic and I have no oil consumption issues--LGT wagon with 69xxx miles. The only way you can be sure that your own car likes the oil you're using is to do a used oil analysis (UOA). Check out blackstone labs--once you get a good report just stick with the oil / change interval that you've been using.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
^^^second vote for T6 5w-40, being further north, you could consider a 5w-30 in winter.

keep in mind, you don't really know how it was maintained before, oil won't repair a car.

I have to use the 'time' side of the schedule so, I change at 6 months, but, having said that, I think 5k intervals on a turbo car with a good synthetic should be fine.

Ultimately, you will have to make yourself comfortable with your choice so, doesn't hurt to get a sense from many sources as to what feels right. BarmaBean also brings up a good point about testing and you may like to do some reading at - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
**Turbo*** - always run full synthetic on EJ Turbo engines. If you still have questions google and read about that from folks well informed on EJ turbo's, the screens that become an issue, etc.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't make a T6 in 5W-30, just 5W-40. I believe the 5 part is for cold, the 40 part is for hot, so it's a bit thicker hot, but since people have been using it, it seems to work well.

I did switch to this product on my last oil change. Normally I seem some oil usage, but unless my wife has started to keep her foot off the floor lately (she did get a ticket recently!) then it has reduced the oil consumption to near zero.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I sold my '08 LGT with 88k last year. I used a ~3k OCI and full synthetic after 10k. Never used a drop of oil and the motor still felt great when I sold it. I've talked to the new owner and he hasn't had any trouble with it. Having said that, I think I would have been ok with 5k OCI.

I've read alot about banjo bolt filters and other misc problems. I think it's the usual squeaky wheel internet problems.

Just thought I'd throw in my $.02 and own experience. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another new turbo Subaru, but I am leary to buy a used one. Simply because you never know what the previous owner has done.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 2 diesel trucks which I run Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. I thought it was intended for use in diesel motors, though I really have no idea what the difference is in diesel vs gasoline motor oil.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Rotella T6 is a dual rated oil, it meets specs of both gas and diesel engines.

Bang for the buck, it is hard to beat for a turbo Subaru engine. However, the best thing for them is to not go past 5k and always use synthetic oil. These engines run hot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't make a T6 in 5W-30, just 5W-40. I believe the 5 part is for cold, the 40 part is for hot, so it's a bit thicker hot, but since people have been using it, it seems to work well.

I did switch to this product on my last oil change. Normally I seem some oil usage, but unless my wife has started to keep her foot off the floor lately (she did get a ticket recently!) then it has reduced the oil consumption to near zero.
The last number is the oil weight. The first number is its pumpability. If you have 5W-30, you're running a 30 weight oil that pumps through the engine more easily than a straight 30. Same for all the other unfortunately named "multiweight" oils. They are not some mixture of different weights of oil that are somehow selective at different temperatures. As a previous poster suggested, BITOG has lots of good information. I know they cleared up some misconceptions I had about oil.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had great luck using Rotella 5w-40.

Just a note about using oil not recommended by the manufacturer. I have read in more than one auto magazine that following recommended oil weight is critical to proper operation of variable valve timing mechanisms. They say that oil too thick can cause improper settings and with time failure of the system.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Oil

Synthetic oil is everywhere nowadays. For the thrifty folks out there, Walmart has their own brand which is as good as any, if you change oil every 3000 miles and use the proper viscosity. Their brand may not have some xtreme viscosities but at 3000 miles intervals it really does not make any difference, which brand you use. It does not void the warranty either. To use any other brand is an overkill (in my opinion). You are paying extra with other brands for some additives that you may not need and advertising, that you don't care about!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing