Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I could go with a 225-60-18 full size spare until I measured the storage compartment and found that a black electrical box is attached in the area and could interfere. Is this box in the Wilderness that comes with a full size spare or have other owners made a work around this box?

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Carbon Rim
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Carbon Rim

·
Registered
2022 outback wilderness
26 Posts
I think they are 225-65-17. There didn’t appear to be any issue with interference. I plan on doing a 5 tire rotation later today and will post back tonight if I have any problems getting a tire out and in.

·
Premium Member
2022 Outback Wilderness
193 Posts
@Gravelgrove is correct - those two boxes deal with the trailer wiring. In our Wilderness the bottom, larger box easily clears the full sized spare. The top, smaller box gets slightly in the way when removing the spare from the well and when placing the spare into the well. That top box is poorly attached with double stick tape. I keep thinking I'll pull it off and reposition it, but then I don't get around to that. Basically, I'm not worrying about jostling that box when I deal with the spare - if it comes off, I'll just put it in a better place.

Howard

·
Registered
2022 outback wilderness
26 Posts
I’m in the middle of rotating the tires. There isn’t much room for the spare, about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch. Both boxes are attached by tape to the sidewall. In fact, the larger one got bumped by the spare and dislodged when I was removing it.

My hitch was installed at the dealership before I picked the car up so I don’t know if the mounting method for the box would be different if done by port, but I doubt it. I have enough slack in the wires to move both further rearward and mount them where there is more room in the spare tire well behind the bumper at 5:00 position rather than the 4:00 position they were in.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,196 Posts
Yep....one told me my vehicle was designed for the smaller tire due to weight distribution requirements.
So when you find out that the full size tire does fit you should go to them and ask why your vehicle doesn't meet these weight distribution requirements. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am very interested in seeing if a full size spare will fit my new 2022. That is one of the aspects that interested me in the Wilderness model. I think I'll give it a try when I get back in town.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
57 Posts
I have that same box in my 2020 XT Limited and I was able to fit a 235/65R17 wheel and tire (which is slightly larger than the stock size) and it fits just fine. That box is actually a little off to the side and does not interfere with the tire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts