Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish there was an option to add a full size spare from the factory. Understood that the Onyx has it, but no other models do. For example, Jaguar Land Rover offers full size spare as an option.

Does anyone know with direct experience if I can swap out the donut on a Touring XT with a stock Touring XT wheel and inflated tire. In some JLR vehicles, if a full size spare is optioned, it reduces storage slightly. Will that happen in the MY20 OB too? Also noticed that Tirerack has 10 run flat options for the factory size tire, was debating about going that approach for a full size spare. Yes, I know it’s not recommended to mix run flat and regular tires.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
449 Posts
Can not see an advantage for a run flat. They 1) cost a lot more, 2) wear faster (20%) 3) and I expect have more rotational mass. BMW X3/5 comes with run flats so this was on my negative side of the check-off check-off list when making decisions for the selection of a new car.

During my new vehicle quest I recall reading that previous generations of the OB had a reduced, donut, size spare tub for the USA version while other parts of the world got full sized spares/tubs. I would like to trade my S/S and LN2 Battery for a full sized spare with matching wheel but seems that the EPA has more influence than customers.

Still love my OB!

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
449 Posts
The donut just needs to get you home or to a safe place to wait for a tow truck.
Yes, but I recall it must be installed on a rear wheel position. If you get a flat on a front tire then there will be two changes rather than one. If non-repairable damage occurs to a tire, while on a road trip. it may be possible to avoid the purchase of 4 new tires from the nearest and most expensive tire store...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, but I recall it must be installed on a rear wheel position. If you get a flat on a front tire then there will be two changes rather than one. If non-repairable damage occurs to a tire, while on a road trip. it may be possible to avoid the purchase of 4 new tires from the nearest and most expensive tire store...
I can see that. I would be calling a tow truck regardless to go to the nearest Subaru dealer. Then it is simply luck whether a tire can be patched or new tires required.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I haven’t done it yet but the standard rim with tire will fit but not with foam inserts. It’s on my list as a future improvement on my 2920 touring XT

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
442 Posts
I haven’t done it yet but the standard rim with tire will fit but not with foam inserts. It’s on my list as a future improvement on my 2920 touring XT
2920 Touring XT... ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does Subaru require a full new set of tires if there is a flat requiring replacement when tires are already halfway worn? I skimmed the owners manual, found the recommended practice of putting the donut on the rear wheel, but not the tread depth continuity requirements for AWD.

I did find something else concerning which I am going to post a new thread about.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Does Subaru require a full new set of tires if there is a flat requiring replacement when tires are already halfway worn? I skimmed the owners manual, found the recommended practice of putting the donut on the rear wheel, but not the tread depth continuity requirements for AWD.

I did find something else concerning which I am going to post a new thread about.
Tire Rack offers a tire shaving service so that you can replace a non-repairable tire with a new shaved tire to match the existing ones, but otherwise yes you would buy 4 at the same time. That's what I've done.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Costco seems to think it's safe enough if you have 2 new tires in the rear as long as the tire size, tread design, and circumference of old & new tires are less than 1 1/2 inches...

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES
It is always recommended to replace tires on Four Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive vehicles in complete sets. When purchasing less than four tires, the tire size and tread design must be identical, and the overall circumference between the old tires and the new tires must have a difference of less than 1 1/2 inches. If less than a complete set of tires is purchased, the new tires will be installed on the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
644 Posts
FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES
It is always recommended to replace tires on Four Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive vehicles in complete sets. When purchasing less than four tires, the tire size and tread design must be identical, and the overall circumference between the old tires and the new tires must have a difference of less than 1 1/2 inches. If less than a complete set of tires is purchased, the new tires will be installed on the rear of the vehicle.
And then what, never rotate again because that would put them on the front? If I ruined a tire but still had good life on the others, I'd go the tire shaving route as most economical.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
79 Posts
The donut just needs to get you home or to a safe place to wait for a tow truck.
That's good enough for most folks. But I often go on long camping trips and drive on Forest Service and BLM backroads where it would be a long haul to reach somewhere to have a tire repaired or replaced. Driving on a donut on rough two track roads is not so good either. I'm going to be looking into getting a full size spare and an Onyx tray for over the spare.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,986 Posts
That's good enough for most folks. But I often go on long camping trips and drive on Forest Service and BLM backroads where it would be a long haul to reach somewhere to have a tire repaired or replaced. Driving on a donut on rough two track roads is not so good either. I'm going to be looking into getting a full size spare and an Onyx tray for over the spare.
This is the way to go, which is exactly why I went with the Onyx. Changing tires on BLM lands and forest roads is no fun in itself, I can't imagine driving with a donut tire on those surfaces and ruts/washboard roads.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@chvvkumar - Covering all scenarios is why i was thinking of using a run-flat in for the full size spare wheel. When two means one and one means none, at least I now know that the size is supported. So in the event the full size spare goes out, at least it can still somewhat move still being that it is a run flat. I did have a run flat come off the bead on a 5500lb mercedes, it was not punctured but the pot hole jarred it off the wheel. They are not entirely fool proof, but it does cover most scenarios.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,986 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
And then what, never rotate again because that would put them on the front? If I ruined a tire but still had good life on the others, I'd go the tire shaving route as most economical.
Costco would prefer that you not replace only 2 tires (1 set). That's why they recommend "complete sets" but if you don't have the money getting one set is doable. As long as the following criteria are met...
When purchasing less than four tires, the tire size and tread design must be identical, and the overall circumference between the old tires and the new tires must have a difference of less than 1 1/2 inches.
Buying one tire and shaving it like you said is another option. I don't think Costco offers tire shaving so it must be why they suggested replacing 2 tires and putting them in the rear instead.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Costco would prefer that you not replace only 2 tires (1 set). That's why they recommend "complete sets" but if you don't have the money getting one set is doable. As long as the following criteria are met...
When I had one tire that had an un-repairable puncture, I went to Costco Tire and they told me to replace all 4. Being stingy with tires isn't in my nature so I didn't argue. I would strongly advise against getting two new tires and running it with two half-used tires on a Subaru. Tires are cheaper than center differentials.

Also, with the bigger new tires in the back, it's the front tires that wear quicker, so whatever difference exists between the diameters/circumferences will only get worse.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When I had one tire that had an un-repairable puncture, I went to Costco Tire and they told me to replace all 4. Being stingy with tires isn't in my nature so I didn't argue. I would strongly advise against getting two new tires and running it with two half-used tires on a Subaru. Tires are cheaper than center differentials.

Also, with the bigger new tires in the back, it's the front tires that wear quicker, so whatever difference exists between the diameters/circumferences will only get worse.
I personally wouldn't do it knowing how crucial they're to my safety. So yeah, I would spend the money to do it the proper way.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts