Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
150 Posts
You could edit it to blank and insert [deleted] and then "report" the reply and ask the moderators to remove it.
I tried that and got my hand smacked saying something like "enter a message".

So did they recently start adding previous quotes when you (we) reply? I thought when I first started using this I had to select "Quote" to get the quote in the reply. Now it automatically pops in.

While I'm at it keep getting the question about "pushing" replies or something like that. Can you update me on this?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,003 Posts
I tried that and got my hand smacked saying something like "enter a message".

So did they recently start adding previous quotes when you (we) reply? I thought when I first started using this I had to select "Quote" to get the quote in the reply. Now it automatically pops in.

While I'm at it keep getting the question about "pushing" replies or something like that. Can you update me on this?
Push notifications is I think what you are referring to. Enabling it sends notifications from the website to your device you are browsing this forum on. I generally don't enable push notifications on websites except for very few things like gmail and reddit.

As for quoting messages, when you click reply to a message, that message is automatically quoted. If you click on the reply box directly the forum will not add a quote to your message.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Push notifications is I think what you are referring to. Enabling it sends notifications from the website to your device you are browsing this forum on. I generally don't enable push notifications on websites except for very few things like gmail and reddit.

As for quoting messages, when you click reply to a message, that message is automatically quoted. If you click on the reply box directly the forum will not add a quote to your message.
If I do NOT select the "Push" option, will I still get email notifications that the topic was appended to?

I just clicked on the little hand in the lower left and got the quotes embedded. I do not see "Reply to message". See below.

THANKS.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,003 Posts
If I do NOT select the "Push" option, will I still get email notifications that the topic was appended to?

I just clicked on the little hand in the lower left and got the quotes embedded. I do not see "Reply to message". See below.

THANKS.

View attachment 479073

Not enabling push notifications should have no effect on email notifications. They are separate features :)

As for the reply button, I am not sure if I get which button you are referring to. In the example below:

• Clicking
    button will insert the message as a quote into your reply
  • Clicking the
    button allows you to quote multiple previous messages in your reply. For example,if you want to quote three messages in your reply, click on this button on all the three messages and then click the circled button
    just below the reply box.
  • Clicking the
    button will just like the reply like on facebook but won't quote it for your reply.
Also, are you from Missouri? Where abouts?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,073 Posts
I was wondering about that.

I'm an Onyx owner and you don't need to buy the Onyx styrofoam insert. Just stick all the stuff in a small duffle bag and drop it in the spare tire - lots of extra room for even more stuff. The jack itself I wrap in a thick towel so it doesn't make any noise. My styrofoam thing is sitting in a plastic bag in a storage room.

With the styrofoam removed I have room inside the tire for a compressor, ratchet straps, lithium jump starter, etc.
I like the way you think. Clearly you are wise. :alien: I may do this. I will def do it if I get the full size spare.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay I now get the quotes thing. Also thanks for the info on Pushing.
Missouri? Not even close. I live in Northern AZ, up in the White Mts.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like the way you think. Clearly you are wise. :alien: I may do this. I will def do it if I get the full size spare.
Look carefully the Styrofoam tool holder also has a couple of extensions to help support the deck lid, or whatever it's called. Here's a link to a video that shows it in action.
Not sure how much weight the decklid will hold wo/the extra support.

I guess if you stuff the spar with lots of stuff, that will also work.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Look carefully the Styrofoam tool holder also has a couple of extensions to help support the deck lid, or whatever it's called. Here's a link to a video that shows it in action.
Not sure how much weight the decklid will hold wo/the extra support.

I guess if you stuff the spar with lots of stuff, that will also work.
Yes I thought about that before taking the styrofoam out, but the board seems plenty rigid enough for my purposes. The board is supported on all sides, just not the center. I didn't invent taking the styrofoam out - many, many people do this with no problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes I thought about that before taking the styrofoam out, but the board seems plenty rigid enough for my purposes. The board is supported on all sides, just not the center. I didn't invent taking the styrofoam out - many, many people do this with no problems.

Nice to know. When you guys/girls (gotta be PC) with the Onyx models get a chance, would you start a topic on how YOUR (3 mode) XMODE works, in different situations. I wanted the Onyx, but also the Touring. The Touring won.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think I need to update here. Today I tested my full size spare on myTouring XT. Drove for maybe 2 miles and had NO indicated
tire pressure (for all the wheels. STUPID IMHO!) on the dash. Then a pop-up indicated that there was a TPMS message. When I
checked the message it instructed me to check the owners manual, which instructed me to contact the dealer.

Got home and swapped to the original wheel. Drove for MAYBE a mile and the message went away.

Conclusion: The wheel and the CPU will NOT self sync. Also, ALL wheels will not register with one new un-synced
wheel (STUPID IMHO).

I did not try lowering the tire pressure to get and warning then reinflation it to TRY to sync it. I figure that when I rotate
the wheels I'll have the dealer sync them. Yeah I know$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Ltd
3 Posts
Here's what I did (this is my first post BTW) and I'm very happy with it. I now have a full sized spare, rear floor is fully supported, and I've greatly increased my storage space:

Bought a full sized OEM Limited wheel on ebay for my 2020 Limited. My local tire guy installed an oem tire and tpms sensor. My plan is to rotate 5 tires.

No new foam anything is needed, I don't want to store so much foam in the back. I needed a bucket that is close to the inner diameter of the wheel, a medium sized trash can was the closest I could find. Cut down the height to align with the bottom of the floor, ie measure it to be even with the existing side foam. This is a floppy bucket, but it's very strong in compression because it's a slightly tapered cylinder with a rigid bottom, the open top is flush with the bottom of the floor so any weight will hold it in shape. I also put some rope through the bucket for a handle using 4 holes (see the first picture) to make it easier to carry when it's full of stuff or water. The orange thing in the picture is a GoTreads traction device that I can now store under the floor, and overall I was able to store at least 2x as much stuff there with no foam.

The second image is the hold down screw vs oem. The oem is too long on the threaded side and the wingnut top will hit the bottom of the bucket. I used a M8-1.25x60 screw with a metal wingnut installed upside down. Then insert the large oem wheel hold down ring upside down so that it sits lower. The smaller wingnut fits fine, still easy to hand tighten and remove.

The jack and tools are just wrapped in some old towels - you always need towels when changing a tire anyway.

So I have a full sized spare, at least double the storage volume, a bonus bucket, and I haven't notices any increase in noise or things shifting around.

20200217_170602.jpg 20200403_140356.jpg

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
465 Posts
Here's what I did (this is my first post BTW) and I'm very happy with it. I now have a full sized spare, rear floor is fully supported, and I've greatly increased my storage space:

Bought a full sized OEM Limited wheel on ebay for my 2020 Limited. My local tire guy installed an oem tire and tpms sensor. My plan is to rotate 5 tires.

No new foam anything is needed, I don't want to store so much foam in the back. I needed a bucket that is close to the inner diameter of the wheel, a medium sized trash can was the closest I could find. Cut down the height to align with the bottom of the floor, ie measure it to be even with the existing side foam. This is a floppy bucket, but it's very strong in compression because it's a slightly tapered cylinder with a rigid bottom, the open top is flush with the bottom of the floor so any weight will hold it in shape. I also put some rope through the bucket for a handle using 4 holes (see the first picture) to make it easier to carry when it's full of stuff or water. The orange thing in the picture is a GoTreads traction device that I can now store under the floor, and overall I was able to store at least 2x as much stuff there with no foam.

The second image is the hold down screw vs oem. The oem is too long on the threaded side and the wingnut top will hit the bottom of the bucket. I used a M8-1.25x60 screw with a metal wingnut installed upside down. Then insert the large oem wheel hold down ring upside down so that it sits lower. The smaller wingnut fits fine, still easy to hand tighten and remove.

The jack and tools are just wrapped in some old towels - you always need towels when changing a tire anyway.

So I have a full sized spare, at least double the storage volume, a bonus bucket, and I haven't notices any increase in noise or things shifting around.

View attachment 481723 View attachment 481724
Thanks for sharing. Great ideas and shared details. Now I will be thinking about using your ideas to increase my storage with the donut spare. Again, good job

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Ltd
3 Posts
Thanks Ron, appreciate that! Great point you make that this will work fine with the space saver spare also. In fact, that's what I did with my 2015 Outback since only the small spare would fit.

And in case it wasn't clear, I removed the entire foam tray, that's a lot of volume. If everything is packed in snug there is no new noise, the jack is wrapped in a towel and sitting on the tire.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Very interesting. Just proves that there is more than one way to get things done.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Pretty spiffy! If you have a moment, what brand is the orange traction thingy?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts