Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

My main goal is to find a way to transport a full size spare tire with my 2019 Outback when I go home to Hawaii later this year. The shipping companies don't allow for anything aftermarket attached to the exterior (there goes the roof cargo basket + spare); and they prohibit anything but child seats inside of the car.

My tires will soon be BFG KO2's in 245/65/R17. I realize one of those will not fit in the spare compartment. But then I came across a comment here about fitting a partially deflated 225/65/R17 in the spare wheel well, which seems like a reasonable compromise for my needs. Dimension wise, that is like fitting a stock tire in there, if I'm not mistaken. And I think I saw someone else on here say they've done that as well.

If anyone can give clarification or confirmation of this it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw a review of an Aussie Outback and it had a full sized spare inside where we have the doughnut.

You could remove or modify the foam tray?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a review of an Aussie Outback and it had a full sized spare inside where we have the doughnut.

Thanks! Actually, somewhere here I read that the Aussie version does have a larger compartment to fit a real full size spare, and a smaller gas tank. While the U.S. OB gets a larger tank, and the littler tire lol.

And yeah I'm definitely expecting to have to remove that foam tray.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Thanks! Actually, somewhere here I read that the Aussie version does have a larger compartment to fit a real full size spare, and a smaller gas tank. While the U.S. OB gets a larger tank, and the littler tire lol.

And yeah I'm definitely expecting to have to remove that foam tray.
Yes our Aussie versions do have a full sized spare and the gas tank is 60 litres (13.19 US Gallons)

Seagrass

·
Registered
778 Posts
Best thing you can do is try it. In your case, a completely deflated tire would serve your purpose since it is just being shipped and not driven to Hawaii. Lol.
I suspect the 245 will be a no-go and the 225 might if it doesn't have full tread.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
I tried stuffing a 225/65/17 in my 2015 and it was a no go even after partially inflating.

I mean I could have gone in there and hammered it in but then I would need a crow bar to get it back out.

One with low tread and deflated just might work.

·
Super Moderator
25,275 Posts
could sell the one tire in subaru loving Washington, and buy one in hawaii

maybe shave it if the circumference is "different".

or maybe find someone shipping out to Washington from hawaii, and buy their spare Ko2 from their outback

·
Registered
297 Posts

or maybe find someone shipping out to Washington from hawaii, and buy their spare Ko2 from their outback
You beat me to it, yeah why not just get a full spare in Hawaii, and assuming the OP is in the military, include that to your household when the moving company pick up your stuff. I might be wrong :frown2: just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried stuffing a 225/65/17 in my 2015 and it was a no go even after partially inflating.

I mean I could have gone in there and hammered it in but then I would need a crow bar to get it back out.

One with low tread and deflated just might work.
Darn, thought I'd read you were able to manage it. But I guess what you meant was that's the spare you carry--not that it fits back there. Thank you for chiming in, I actually tried to msg you about this, but I still have lurker status. 0:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best thing you can do is try it. In your case, a completely deflated tire would serve your purpose since it is just being shipped and not driven to Hawaii. Lol.
I suspect the 245 will be a no-go and the 225 might if it doesn't have full tread.
WELL I haven't decided if I want to just make it a road trip :wink2::wink2: LOL

But yeah, I suppose I will just have to try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

At first glance I thought, "oh actually I live in Seattle, I've never heard of Loving, Washington" hahhaa..

I guess buying/selling a spare might be my best option. In reality, I won't be going on any far off backcountry adventures on Oahu anyway.

·
Super Moderator
25,275 Posts
At first glance I thought, "oh actually I live in Seattle, I've never heard of Loving, Washington" hahhaa..

I guess buying/selling a spare might be my best option. In reality, I won't be going on any far off backcountry adventures on Oahu anyway.
from reading some threads on this forum and elsewhere: people there "DO" go into unimproved areas, like down beaches or to a rural cabin. ...so Ko2 maybe handy.
@outbackred (or some name like that lives out there, ...tries to find good local old subaru beaters for such duty)

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/85-all-other-subaru-models/441137-looking-01-forester-sale.html

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Darn, thought I'd read you were able to manage it. But I guess what you meant was that's the spare you carry--not that it fits back there. Thank you for chiming in, I actually tried to msg you about this, but I still have lurker status. 0:)
How attached are you to having those body panels perfect? You could hammer it out, deflate the tire, and find a bald one. That's the only way I could see it fitting.

I plan to expand mine eventually but will leave it to a professional.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
from reading some threads on this forum and elsewhere: people there "DO" go into unimproved areas, like down beaches or to a rural cabin. ...so Ko2 maybe handy.
@outbackred (or some name like that lives out there, ...tries to find good local old subaru beaters for such duty)

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/85-all-other-subaru-models/441137-looking-01-forester-sale.html
True, I plan on taking it to some pretty muddy and sandy places, so the KO2s will come in handy. I guess my thinking is I shouldn't be stressing about the spare though. Now that you've got me thinking about it, there really is no place on the island that a car can get to, that either has no cell reception, or is too far to walk to get reception. I spent the first 33 years of my life on Oahu and this will be the first time I'll own an AWD over there, so I'm excited!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How attached are you to having those body panels perfect? You could hammer it out, deflate the tire, and find a bald one. That's the only way I could see it fitting.

I plan to expand mine eventually but will leave it to a professional.
Oh what.. don't ask me that! Ha... Pretty darn attached at this point. Well it was a ray of hope for a day.

Have you seen this guys approach? Pretty clever the way he cut the floor board to access his gear stored in the wheel well. And I think it's a more efficient use of space than the tire on in the cargo basket. When I come back to the states from Hawaii, I may try this.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
Oh what.. don't ask me that! Ha... Pretty darn attached at this point. Well it was a ray of hope for a day.

Have you seen this guys approach? Pretty clever the way he cut the floor board to access his gear stored in the wheel well. And I think it's a more efficient use of space than the tire on in the cargo basket.
When I come back to the states from Hawaii, I may try this.
That's clever!

I have considered mounting it there Jeep Cherokee style but losing access to the floor and the space inside the vehicle turned me off.

I never considered just cutting the floor board. That would be great for someone wanting the ability to go back to stock too!

I have pretty much decided on expanding the tire well at this point. I am not a good welder and would feel more comfortable having a fabricator or body shop so the work.

Maybe after the VDC Baja is done I can devote more time to the idea.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's clever!

I have considered mounting it there Jeep Cherokee style but losing access to the floor and the space inside the vehicle turned me off.

I never considered just cutting the floor board. That would be great for someone wanting the ability to go back to stock too!

I have pretty much decided on expanding the tire well at this point. I am not a good welder and would feel more comfortable having a fabricator or body shop so the work.

Maybe after the VDC Baja is done I can devote more time to the idea.
Right??

Cool, yeah if there is a was to expand the well without doing anything too crazy and compromising something critical, that would be so awesome.

Oh and to follow up with what I mentioned earlier, I found the comment that shows a member here fitting a "full size" tire in the well. However, as it turns out, its a 225/50/R18. 26.9" x 8.9" He meant full size width, I guess. He posts pics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update for those interested:

BFG KO2's in 245/65/R17 and Method MR501's (offset 42) have been ordered with my local Discount Tire!

And this was pretty cool: I asked if they would be willing to let me test fitting different size tires in my spare compartment, seems like it won't be a problem, maybe a learning experience for all. I even told the guy that I suspected a size 215/65/R16 (27" x 8.5") will fit, and that BFG KO2's came in that size. So he says, "Okay I'll order those, too." I was like, "Oh, no I just wanna try-" He said it's no problem, since they're a popular tire he didn't mind just bringing them in. Sweet! So IF it does fit, I will wrap one of those on a steel wheel and add it to my order. Of course, that's a mere 27" diameter tire, compared to the 29.5" BFG's I'll have on there.

That's what I will have while back home in Hawaii, along with my compressor and plug kit of course.

When I come back to the continent I'll re-visit the idea of a full size spare.

Now it's time to begin planning how I'm gonna sell my stock wheels and tires, hopefully before I leave WA. The rep recommended I just swap TPMS sensors and sell the set without em. Far as I can tell, it wasn't good or bad advice, just a way for me to save a few hundred bucks right now.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Which island? My cousin is on Oahu shipped his big bro F250 7.3L diesel on giant tires over. He drives a diesel jetta daily and kayaks across the bay to his office given it saves him hour plus or more vs driving all the way to the office. The truck is a driveway queen lol.

Sell the KOs when you get to the island for $$$$ lol then get some lighter tread stuff for beach side parking and wet roads. Thats about all you get on the islands.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which island? My cousin is on Oahu shipped his big bro F250 7.3L diesel on giant tires over. He drives a diesel jetta daily and kayaks across the bay to his office given it saves him hour plus or more vs driving all the way to the office. The truck is a driveway queen lol.

Sell the KOs when you get to the island for $$$$ lol then get some lighter tread stuff for beach side parking and wet roads. Thats about all you get on the islands.
Driveway Queen heheh nice. Cool I'm from Oahu, too. No way he kayaks to work?? That's amazing, knowing the traffic there, I don't doubt he saves an hour! So yeah, off-roading will be pretty minimal. But there are a few spots I plan to go where they'll come in handy. If only our inter-island ferry had stuck around. :/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts