Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Driveway Queen heheh nice. Cool I'm from Oahu, too. No way he kayaks to work?? That's amazing, knowing the traffic there, I don't doubt he saves an hour! So yeah, off-roading will be pretty minimal. But there are a few spots I plan to go where they'll come in handy. If only our inter-island ferry had stuck around. :/
Yeah he and quite a few others commute across the bay by Kayak. Hes on base, but Civilian employee. Been there 15yrs. The traffic is horrendous.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have you considered just putting the rim without a tire on it in there and buying a tire when you get to Hawaii?
Shoot lol! I haven't even thought of that. I suppose it's not far from just getting it all over there, since I won't be getting a nice wheel unless it's a full size that I actually rotate in with the rest. But I've reached the conclusion (for now) I don't even want a full size spare in Hawaii. But if I ever move up to Alaska for a time (which I hope to do one day), this idea will be gold, so thanks!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
A good friend is in the shipping biz. He runs one ship to the islands. The reason they don’t want loose large items in cars is because they’ve had cars packed full of crap get tossed so hard they’ve had busted windows and junk strewn all over the car deck on the ship. The sailboat I have raced to Oahu has been shipped back 13 times just barely fits the max dimensions to roll on the ship strapped to a trailer. We strap all the gear down inside the boat or it looks like it went through a blender by the time it arrives in SF.

The trip going East to the mainland is worse than going west with the trade winds. But thats why they are pretty strict on packing thd car for the ship ride over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A good friend is in the shipping biz. He runs one ship to the islands. The reason they don’t want loose large items in cars is because they’ve had cars packed full of crap get tossed so hard they’ve had busted windows and junk strewn all over the car deck on the ship. The sailboat I have raced to Oahu has been shipped back 13 times just barely fits the max dimensions to roll on the ship strapped to a trailer. We strap all the gear down inside the boat or it looks like it went through a blender by the time it arrives in SF.

The trip going East to the mainland is worse than going west with the trade winds. But thats why they are pretty strict on packing thd car for the ship ride over.
Yeah I only really realized that after I found that some routes allow belongings (Kent, WA to Anchorage does, I believe), and others like to/from Hawaii don't. Makes sense.

The more important matter though... You've race SAILED across the Pacific? And 13 times?!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yeah I only really realized that after I found that some routes allow belongings (Kent, WA to Anchorage does, I believe), and others like to/from Hawaii don't. Makes sense.

The more important matter though... You've race SAILED across the Pacific? And 13 times?!
The boat I did it on has done it 13 times. I’ve done it once and hope to do it a few more times. Lots of other ocean racing too. By far the worst conditions I’ve seen is North of SF. The stretch between SF and Washington State is considered one of the most dangerous passages in the world. I won’t be doing that run. I’ve seen how bad it can be a between Ventura CA and Point Reyes CA.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update!

Welp, sure enough, the 215/65/R16 BFG fits! Just BARELY. See pic.

The problem was that the Steel Wheel in 16" doesn't clear that dang brakes. Thought I was so clever. Actually, I'm wondering if 16" in ANY wheel will fit. It looks like that size is automatically filtered out when searching for 2019 OB wheels. Never noticed that before.

I could go with a 225/50/R18 in a completely different setup, I suppose. It's a good size tire 26.9 x 8.9.

Or I can also try to squeeze a Geolander G015 in 215/60/R17 (27.2 x 8.5") if I can find a location that has them in stock to test out. The stock spare steel wheel is a 17" so that should work, right? Hope so.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
46D20693-DA07-46E6-852E-FC0D8E697B13.jpg DEF820CA-F833-4222-9F3A-1BC169C8B653.jpg

No update on the spare yet, but wanted to share A few shots of the new setup. It’s a tight fit but no rubs yet. Stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Moving date is approaching, looks like I'll be hauling my stock tires+wheels with me down to socal. I've had them up for sale here, CL and FB marketplace and have only had a few inquiries.

Anyway, I scored a used Method MR501 on ebay for $83, saving a good $150 after tax! I was going to just do a steel wheel spare, but looks like I'm gonna be fancy. ;)

Still haven't been able to check on the Geolander G015 in 215/60/R17 fitting in the spare compartment.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I just took measurements of my 2018 OB (Gen 5). According to my measurements, a deflated full size spare should fit back there. When I have the time, I will literally take a wheel off to verify.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
I just took measurements of my 2018 OB (Gen 5). According to my measurements, a deflated full size spare should fit back there. When I have the time, I will literally take a wheel off to verify.
225/60/18 deflated won't fit in a 2017.

It's close though. Maybe enough for a hammer to fix?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I would feel comfortable carrying a totally flat full size spare back there. See pics here:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts