Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you have a full-size spare, just include it in the tire rotation scheme (5 tires instead of 4) so that all will have nearly the same wear. I ditched the stock tires and wheels, only to find that even a deflated full-size spare won't fit in the well of a '17 OB. At least I have a ready replacement if I destroy a tire.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you have a full-size spare, just include it in the tire rotation scheme (5 tires instead of 4) so that all will have nearly the same wear.
I do not agree with the idea of rotating 5 tires. You will probably have to shave the spare anyway because the wear will probably still be too off. Further, if you never have a catastrophic tire failure, then you have to replace 5 tires, instead of 4 tires. (More $$$$). Also, the fit back there takes finesse, and you will have stuff stored on top of the tire. So, you (not the shop) need to be taking the tire in and out. The shop will definitely break something back there and will charge you more on top of that. The extra effort is a pain for something that should not be done anyway.

Instead, treat any emergency tire change as temporary. Change a tire, and then get the spare shaved at the next tire shop. An unshaved full size spare is still ten times better than a donut spare.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
I do not agree with the idea of rotating 5 tires. You will probably have to shave the spare anyway because the wear will probably still be too off. Further, if you never have a catastrophic tire failure, then you have to replace 5 tires, instead of 4 tires. (More $$$$). Also, the fit back there takes finesse, and you will have stuff stored on top of the tire. So, you (not the shop) need to be taking the tire in and out. The shop will definitely break something back there and will charge you more on top of that. The extra effort is a pain for something that should not be done anyway.

Instead, treat any emergency tire change as temporary. Change a tire, and then get the spare shaved at the next tire shop. An unshaved full size spare is still ten times better than a donut spare.
A 5 tire rotation won't work with keeping the TPMS system.

You would have to program it in each time.

But I'm not sure a proper 5 tire rotation isn't really any more money because the 25% cost increase is offset by the 25% more tread.

Plus then there would be no worry about tread depths since they're all wearing at the same rate.

·
Super Moderator
9,603 Posts
My thought process @Brucey is you'd really like to go all Mad Max / Fury Road with your ride.

We await your vehicle's new customized look.
I feel like I've done a lot of work to keep mine tame in appearance.

No lights. No baskets. No bumper. No real exterior mods besides wheels and tires.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A 5 tire rotation won't work with keeping the TPMS system.

You would have to program it in each time.

But I'm not sure a proper 5 tire rotation isn't really any more money because the 25% cost increase is offset by the 25% more tread.

Plus then there would be no worry about tread depths since they're all wearing at the same rate.
I do my own tire rotations, so I can keep the order correct. I bought an Autel TS-501 so I can easily program the TPMS - I got it on sale, so after my second rotation I was saving money.

Tire rotations are scheduled every 5k miles, and it's convenient to do then because I have the car in the air for the oil change and the wheels come off for the brake and boot inspections. Unless you really abuse your tired the amount of wear over 5k miles isn't an issue.

I've had problems in the past where I damaged a wheel and couldn't buy an exact replacement (discontinued for new and different designs) and had to buy 4 new wheels. I'm protected when I have five identical wheels - the "spare" goes on the car full time and I buy a cheap non-matching wheel that becomes a traditional spare.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I do my own tire rotations, so I can keep the order correct. I bought an Autel TS-501 so I can easily program the TPMS - I got it on sale, so after my second rotation I was saving money.

Tire rotations are scheduled every 5k miles, and it's convenient to do then because I have the car in the air for the oil change and the wheels come off for the brake and boot inspections. Unless you really abuse your tired the amount of wear over 5k miles isn't an issue.

I've had problems in the past where I damaged a wheel and couldn't buy an exact replacement (discontinued for new and different designs) and had to buy 4 new wheels. I'm protected when I have five identical wheels - the "spare" goes on the car full time and I buy a cheap non-matching wheel that becomes a traditional spare.
You do your own rotations. That is an important piece of information here. A 5-tire rotation requires extra care to do it correctly. On top of the proper rotation to ensure equal time of all tires, the tread depth should be closely monitored to ensure close to equal tread depths. I would trust a 5-tire rotation as a DIY task, but not as a shop task.

A 4-tire rotation is a rare task I trust a shop to do. I don’t want to rotate my own tires, even though I can. Plus, the shop’s rotation is free! So, I will stick with a 4-tire rotation at a shop, and I would keep my full size spare unshaved.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts