Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to do this?

I read the whole bit about connectivity in the manual, but there's not much there, other than how to delete cached SSIDs (of which there are none, at this point, that was one of the first things I did).

My system has suddenly decided it doesn't want to connect to pretty much anything, my main APs (primary and guest), hot-spotting my phone, my desktop (created a yet another hotspot).
I've had zero-issues, ever, until I went out to hook up my charger/conditioner today (the battery was fine, it just went into 4A->2A slow-mode).

I've done the >10 second reboot, twice, restarted the car twice (should be the same as the reboot), same deal, it sees my SSIDs, and that's it it never even attempts to authenicate (looking at my AP controller logs, my desktop AP logs, and my phone diagnostics), on any of them, it just gives a "not available, try again later" not-so-useful message (no error value, nothing...).
I can't for the life of me think of someone coding this in such a way (security-wise) that it's not possible to delete the credentials, ever.

The really weird thing is (that makes it obvious there's a huge cache bug here), is that it only asks for my credentials for my guest SSID, never my main SSID, even though none are (supposedly) cached, at this point.
Same with my phone hotspot, it only asked for them the first time, and after deleting the SSID, it sees the hotspot, but doesn't ask for credentials, it just waits awhile and... same failure.

I'm really hoping I don't have to yank the battery cable, in order to get it to reset/connect, that would seem a bit ludicrous (although perhaps not that surprising/inspiring).

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Does anyone know how to do this?

I read the whole bit about connectivity in the manual, but there's not much there, other than how to delete cached SSIDs (of which there are none, at this point, that was one of the first things I did).

My system has suddenly decided it doesn't want to connect to pretty much anything, my main APs (primary and guest), hot-spotting my phone, my desktop (created a yet another hotspot).
I've had zero-issues, ever, until I went out to hook up my charger/conditioner today (the battery was fine, it just went into 4A->2A slow-mode).

I've done the >10 second reboot, twice, restarted the car twice (should be the same as the reboot), same deal, it sees my SSIDs, and that's it it never even attempts to authenicate (looking at my AP controller logs, my desktop AP logs, and my phone diagnostics), on any of them, it just gives a "not available, try again later" not-so-useful message (no error value, nothing...).
I can't for the life of me think of someone coding this in such a way (security-wise) that it's not possible to delete the credentials, ever.

The really weird thing is (that makes it obvious there's a huge cache bug here), is that it only asks for my credentials for my guest SSID, never my main SSID, even though none are (supposedly) cached, at this point.
Same with my phone hotspot, it only asked for them the first time, and after deleting the SSID, it sees the hotspot, but doesn't ask for credentials, it just waits awhile and... same failure.

I'm really hoping I don't have to yank the battery cable, in order to get it to reset/connect, that would seem a bit ludicrous (although perhaps not that surprising/inspiring).
Have you done the factory reset? It's not the same as the 10 second reboot.

On the other hand, just yesterday when I was having trouble connecting the car to my router I rebooted the router and it worked on the car. Nothing else was having trouble with the router but rebooting the router helped for some reason.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, okay so that was weird, I have no idea why/how, but now it's working fine, more detail:

1. - went back out to the car, still on the final stage of the trickle-charge
  2. - hopped in, fired up the WiFi, and it says "Connected", to my main home SSID (whah, how?), even though it had no credentials (in theory) to connect
  3. - went into the saved-SSID list, and it now has 4 entries, for my main SSID.
    1. Deleted 1, 3 left
    2. Deleted the 2nd, and then zero(0) were left, so it went 4->-3->0.
  4. - went back in, and now I can connect to either SSID just fine, no issues.
This thing is a pile-of-bugs, I really hope that Subaru knows this (hopefully they collect telemetry data from the h/u), and is working to resolve some of this.
I feel like I'm fiddling with a $59 imported funky-name Android phone here, for comparison purposes, it feels just-about that stable/consistent.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have you done the factory reset? It's not the same as the 10 second reboot.

On the other hand, just yesterday when I was having trouble connecting the car to my router I rebooted the router and it worked on the car. Nothing else was having trouble with the router but rebooting the router helped for some reason.
Yeah, I was avoiding the factory-reset, for roughly the same reason as the battery-cable-pull, I have a bunch of favorites/layout setup, spent a good bit of time getting things just-right.
I really just wanted to reset the WiFi (only), but apparently there's no great way to do that, at least no documented way, that I can find (which is odd, most devices have a way to flush all the SSID/credential/DNS/DHCP data).

My router has nothing to do with my APs (other than providing data-linkage and some SNMP metadata), but I did reboot my AP-controller (it's an SMB setup, a bit different from consumer design), which did nothing (not that I expected it to, but did it anyway), when I was trying to diagnose this, earlier. My SMB setup runs for months, in commercial settings, typically, it's a bit different (than even a fairly high-end consumer router native WiFi), with the wireless-controller and AP's completely abstracted from the router/switches, by a switching level.

All-that-aside, it really came down to the h/u, and what's at least 2-3 bugs, in their WiFi model/modules, per my second reply, to myself ;-]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts