Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the threads of the valve extend higher than the inside of the oil pan? The valve website states they does not, but has anyone ever checked?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,324 Posts
On my 2003 it extends a bit further than the factory drain plug. Somewhere between 1/8th and 1/4th inch would be my guess.

If you're really concerned, you could CAREFULLY notch the threads with a dremel to allow for the oil to drain better. That being said, when I pulled my Fumoto to replace the crush washer, all I got out was somewhere around 1/4th to 1/2 cup of oil, not enough to concern me.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
No matter what you do, no matter what plug you have there, there will always be some "old" oil left, unless you let the oil drip "for ever" as mentioned in that thread.... I wouldn't worry about that....

·
Registered
2006 2.5i
95 Posts
Not to thread jack but I'm about to order one. Do you guys use a crush washer with them or just the supplied gasket?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I have used the supplied washer... I must have bought couple of dozens of them over the years and it was the best thing I've ever done. No more box wrenches! Just turn the valve, drain used oil into a plastic container and drop it off at Walmart's recycling auto center....

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
+1 on the supplied washer. The only "reason" I can think of is it's not metal and won't create any dissimilar metal issues. In reality I had a choice, a used crush washer and the supplied one--I used the supplied one.;)

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,324 Posts
I used the supplied blue washer. It started to weep after a while, so I replaced it with a crush washer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have fumoto valves on my vehicles and like the fact that they can be opened when the engine is very hot allowing the old oil completely drain.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
The thread linked above talks about the F-105 valve, which is for pre-2010 Outbacks. Anybody with a 2010+ should be ordering the F-108 valve, per the "Sizes and Applications" page here: FUMOTO ENGINEERING

From the Sizes and Applications Page:

• F-108: Outback SUV 4 cyl. Non-Turbo('10 & on), Forester Non-Turbo ('11 & on, Legacy 4 cyl. Non-Turbo ('10 & on)
  • F-105: All other models

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
I put notches about 3/16" deep in the top at 90 degree intervals around the threads. Then, the next time I changed the oil, after it drained, I removed the valve. No additional oil drained out. I reinstalled it, confident that ALL the old oil that can come out, does come out. Anal, but thorough......That is me!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Aren't these notches an overkill? If you change oil every 3000 miles (which is an overkill as well) then some residue of old oil won't make such an impact on the engine lubrication...just a thought....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts