Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this on there oil pan, if so pros & cons would be great.

Does the dealer's handle these? Or just on the net, can't find them in auto parts stores.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've installed them on the last four vehicles I've owned. Haven't got one for the OB yet since I just bought it. No problems with clearance or any concern of it opening on its own.

However, you order the Fumoto valves online. Never seen any in the store or dealer. It makes changing the oil easy and clean for me as I do my own servicing.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The dealer does not sell those because they claim the valve is not magnetic!

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
The bolt thats on the pan isn't magnetic either. I have a Fumoto valve on the Forester and i've used it twice for oil changes. It makes it quick and easy for oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The bolt thats on the pan isn't magnetic either. I have a Fumoto valve on the Forester and i've used it twice for oil changes. It makes it quick and easy for oil changes.
That's what I was told - I know, it's not magnetic....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
402 Posts
I have had a Fumoto on the last 4 of my vehicles and is the very first thing I do when I get a vehicle. I have always been afraid of stripping the threads in the pan and the Fumoto is the perfect remedy for that. The only negative I can say is that it does drain slower than if you had the OEM bolt. Other than that, they are great.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have used it on my OB for 42,000K and would not have a car without one that I don my own service on. No leaks no problems no mess.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
I have had a Fumoto on the last 4 of my vehicles and is the very first thing I do when I get a vehicle. I have always been afraid of stripping the threads in the pan and the Fumoto is the perfect remedy for that. The only negative I can say is that it does drain slower than if you had the OEM bolt. Other than that, they are great.
I have found the slower drain is not an issue. The first thing I do is put the hose on the Fumoto and secure to my drain pan. Open Fumoto then I do the oil filter and check all other fluid levels except of course the transmission. By then the oil has drained, close Fumoto and refill with new oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've installed them on the last four vehicles I've owned. Haven't got one for the OB yet since I just bought it. No problems with clearance or any concern of it opening on its own.

However, you order the Fumoto valves online. Never seen any in the store or dealer. It makes changing the oil easy and clean for me as I do my own servicing.
The Subaru Drain plug uses a compression ring. The first time and only time you install a Fumoto valve do you install a compression ring along with the Fumoto?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I added a Fumoto valve for the first time on my 2013OB. I got it with the nipple and hose for <$30 on their website. Cost was about $26, with the nipple and hose add$3. I was concerned about the "hangdown" exposure with the nipple but after installation have no regrets or worries. The front sway bar sits lower right behind it and is substantial. I feel it would take a miracle shot to do any damage.

The install was uneventfull and I used the provided washer. The factory pan bolt was on tight---really tight, as it is painted over. The valve itself is of high quality- it is a really nice product. You can easily and cleanly drain in to a recyclable container. Must have for the DIY'er.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Willy999, like OBnube said the Fumoto valve comes with a compression ring, although I've read some people have issues with slight leakage. In that case, you can just get the OEM crush washer and use that when installing the valve.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Mine did not come with what I would call a compression ring. It is a fairly thick hard "gasket' like material. Very little to no compression. Maybe that's where some have a leakage issue. Tight and dry here.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
Does this at all interfere with the primative skid plates?
NO
I have a Primative skid plate on my 2012 3.6R Outback. There is about 1 inch of clearance between valve with nipple and skid plate. I do remove the skid plate to change oil mainly because of the oil filter location on the 2012.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Anybody else get the Fumoto advert at the bottom of this page?? Pin-point advertising at it's best.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Nah, the ad on the bottom of this page for me on my work computer is Midas of Kalkaska. I don't know why Kalkaska (in Michigan), I live in Pittsburgh, PA...

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the comments, have another question, using the valve and it is slow to drain as many have stated. Do you think less gunk is being drained out of the oil pan, or more sediment staying in the pan with no real force to flush?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
One thing to watch out - if and when you have a dealer do an oil change I can guarantee that they will try to bill you for the oil plug seal/gasket even if you have the Fumoto valve installed and even if you warn them, when you turn your car in for this service. This is because they have it pre-programmed in their databases. You should therefore scrutinize the bill before paying it. I had that issue over and over, not just with Subaru dealers but with Honda, VW etc etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts