Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
While yes I see quite a few post on door lock issues I could not find what I was looking for. I have a 2008 OBW and last week I locked my car with the key fob went into the store came out and the car would not unlock. I pulled the fuse and it was blown, replaced it tested the locks and they worked. A few hours later I hit the button to unlock and nothing happen....pulled the fuse and the new one had blown.

At this point I am guessing I have a short somewhere just not so sure where to start or if I am having an issue with a relay in the main fuse box under the hood. I am also curious if an incident a few weeks prior with my lift gate maybe the culprit. Long story short a bag of clementines were slammed and "juiced" with my lift gate. To clean it up I took some household cleaner, an all natural cleaner, and cleaned up the juice, closed the gate and then my car was locked for about 5 days at the airport. When I returned I could not get the gate open...finally my husband and I were able to get it open and apparently the citrus and cleaner had had a chemical reaction dance party and "melted" the seal on the gate...not sure if this happen to get into the electrical because at this point the gate is locked and I cannot get it open.

Sorry for the long post just looking for some guidance here! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Disco on a molecular level, eh?

Attached is the wiring diagram for your OBW. Find the fuse that is blowing and trace it through the diagram and check connection and wires at the end points for the Battery current. Check for bad grounds.

Let us know what you find.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I've never had that fuse blow or had lock issues. Welcome to the forum though. I have had huge spills with no problems in my 97. A large container of oxtail stew went all over the back and bumper as I was loading it. It pooled and dried in the wheel well before I got around to cleaning it out. I guess in your case the door was involved (like the scene from walking dead) so there is more wiring which could have been damaged. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disco on a molecular level, eh?

Attached is the wiring diagram for your OBW. Find the fuse that is blowing and trace it through the diagram and check connection and wires at the end points for the Battery current. Check for bad grounds.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks mucho...I feel like I need a degree in electrical engineering! I will get working on it this weekend and keep you all posted.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Thanks mucho...I feel like I need a degree in electrical engineering! I will get working on it this weekend and keep you all posted.
Or/And let us know exactly which fuse is blowing (find the location and fuse # in the Owners Manual).

Some of the fuses are part of circuits that power other functions, such as the cabin lights, radio, and AC control panel. So the problem could be something other than the keyless entry system. Knowing which fuse might help determine which circuit is involved and what other areas, if any could be causing the fuse to blow.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
That's a good point. I had my horn/hazard fuse blowing causing the ignition key to get stuck in the ignition cylinder. Ended up being one of the horns causing it. New Hella horns. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all-
While yes I see quite a few post on door lock issues I could not find what I was looking for. I have a 2008 OBW and last week I locked my car with the key fob went into the store came out and the car would not unlock. I pulled the fuse and it was blown, replaced it tested the locks and they worked. A few hours later I hit the button to unlock and nothing happen....pulled the fuse and the new one had blown.

At this point I am guessing I have a short somewhere just not so sure where to start or if I am having an issue with a relay in the main fuse box under the hood. I am also curious if an incident a few weeks prior with my lift gate maybe the culprit. Long story short a bag of clementines were slammed and "juiced" with my lift gate. To clean it up I took some household cleaner, an all natural cleaner, and cleaned up the juice, closed the gate and then my car was locked for about 5 days at the airport. When I returned I could not get the gate open...finally my husband and I were able to get it open and apparently the citrus and cleaner had had a chemical reaction dance party and "melted" the seal on the gate...not sure if this happen to get into the electrical because at this point the gate is locked and I cannot get it open.

Sorry for the long post just looking for some guidance here! Thanks!
I have the very same issue with my 05' OBW xt, I took it to the shop to have an issue with my no. 3 cylinder mis fire and ck eng light coming on cruse cont. not working etc. [coil on no. 3 was replaced] ran good for 1 day. pfft.. anyway when my car was picked up my door locks didn't work and have never since. First thing I checked was obviously the fuse, it was blown..seemed an easy fix replaced it closed the door hit the remote doors locked as they always did before unlocked them worked fine. Sadly that was the only time they worked tested a second time nothing. Pulled the fuse to check it again and sure enough blown again and it just keeps doing that. [worst part is manually having to lock and unlock with 2 young children all the time and only one **** key entry on drivers door not any others] Shop denies any connection with the work performed and this issue, which seems almost reasonable except they worked when it was dropped off but not when it was picked up and well needless to say the original issue with the misfire on no. 3 cyl and the rough idle, ck eng light and cruse cont. not working is still not working. P O S car i think i am on my final days with it, it has been nothing but problems from day one a steady stream of issues that are either fixed at a very high cost or not ever fixed because the issues seem to elude everyone that looks at it. But just the same if anyone has any ideas I am all ears. Thanks and hope you find a solution for yours as well. Good luck you may need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts