Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92' Legacy (sorry, I know this is an Outback site, but the readers seam pretty knowledgeable). For some reason, it keeps frying the fuseable link. It seems to be worse in the winter, but it has done it a couple of times this summer. Any body know what is causing it and/or how to fix it.

Thanks.:8:

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
If you mean the BIG main fuse, I would guess there is a bad earth somewhere, and its producing higher currents than expected....maybe you need a Grounding Kit? Seriously, check for differences in battery potential around the engine...check voltage across battery terminals, then from +12 terminal to engine case, alternator body, car body etc. If you get more than say .5V, I would undo any and all earth points, clean the terminal (ring or spade tag), the body or engine point, the bolt,washer, nut etc, put a smear of vaseline on to prevent corrosion, and refit. Also reseat fuses, check blades for clean. ANy places where multiple leads all ground/earth together also need cleaning, and the main alternator lead. Pull the battery terminals, clean the posts to shiny, and inside the connections, vaseline again.
HTH
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i think jp is right on target here. this sounds very much like a ground problem, esp since i suspect you see a lot of road salt in winter.

and don't worry abt a kit, but spare ground leads from batt to chassis and from chassis to engine are always a good idea, esp if you live in the rust belt

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
On cars with lots of electrics and complexity, that are also not regulalrly used (eg my Porsche 928), need an annual check like above - clean all earths, fuses, relay sockets, battery poles, and ensure that no moisture gets near the fuse board (~ 1.5sq ft, under pax toes, also under heater air inlet.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i, 83 928 3AT 4.7cis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts