Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy tells me that there is a fuse you can apply to put your OBW into front-wheel drive only mode. What is the fuse location on an '012 that will put the car into front-wheel drive only mode?

jt

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Nope - the fuse thing was only available on late 90's and early 2000 models. This was only for temporary use and fuel consumption doesn't change with fwd only mode anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Not available on newer models.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I must state that there is an option and that it is intended to "turn off" the AWD during those situations when the spare tire is used. Color me wrong, if this is not the case; however, it was what it was in my 2008 OBS. Not a fuel consumption thing; but rather, a "limping home" type of thing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you have the cvt then you pretty much already have "front wheel drive" under most conditions, no need for a fuse.

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
As I recall, the use of a fuse to disable the AWD was discontinued around 2008 or 2009 when all Subarus were equipped with VDC, which is designed to accommodate the use of the smaller spare tire by altering the engagement of the AWD transfer system.

In this regard, even prior to the universal introduction of VDC, Subarus with the 5-speed automatic transmission (i.e. those using the Variable Torque Drive -- VTD -- AWD transfer system) also did not use a fuse. There is a thread here, going back a few years, where a member installed the fuse in accordance with the owner's manual, but there was no light in the instrument panel that should have come on. Ultimately, and following correspondence with Subaru and FHI, it was concluded that the fuse was not functional with these cars, and that the owner's manual was not correct in requiring it when driving with the smaller spare.

WiscoOB: The multi-plate transfer clutch which is used with the CVT and previous 4EATs, does not default to ' "front wheel drive" under most conditions, . . .' This is a myth. In fact, in a properly operating transmission, the AWD transfer system is always engaged to a significant degree, with all four wheels powered other than in Neutral or Park. This is based on actual measurement of the control signal from the TCU to the transfer control solenoid. There's more details in http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39426-freessm-complete-access-your-ecm-tcu.html

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you have the cvt then you pretty much already have "front wheel drive" under most conditions, no need for a fuse.
You clearly don't own one.

over 40,000 miles on my CVT subaru and my prior one was a no frills 5spd MT Subaru.

The CVT matches the old 50/50 MT in every way and does better in slick conditions where loading up the rear wheels on down hill decents causes more issues than it solves. I'll take the CVT over the MT any day regarding needed traction and AWD ability.

180,000 miles on my old 5spd MT it was lacking low 1st gearing for some things and having the rear end step out every time I crossed the pass at Donner Summit in a snow storm even with just a minor reduction in throttle the CVT is far superior in that regard.

The only place the 5spd MT was far better - Highway 1 mid week in the Legacy GT! Nothing like a 4wheel drift through a switch back and hammering it to 3rd as you blast off to the next 180 degree switchback all while looking out over the Pacific Ocean.
The CVT wouldn't be as much fun and the Outback handling would pretty much kill any interest in a 4 wheel drift with the go pedal mashed in 2nd gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing