Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Outback Sedan with VDC. I recently had a run in with a flat tire and I wanted to disable to rear wheels for the spare. I followed the manual and attempted to insert a fuse into the FWD slot under the hood. The fuse wouldn't press in fully and the FWD warning light never came on. There seems to be a yellow plastic piece running the length of the fuse box that is preventing the fuse from seating properly.

I did some research and found a couple of pictures of Subarus with that same yellow plastic piece, at least one of them was a manual transmission. From what I've read the fuse on the VDC cars doesn't actually disable the rear wheels, it just turns off VDC. But if that's the truth I should still be able to insert the fuse and have the "VDC off" light come on.

I ended up driving with the spare on the rear of the car, disabling VDC using the button on the dash, and slowing down and turning it back off any time I went above 40MPH.

Does anybody know what this yellow plastic piece is and why it is there? What is the proper procedure for driving with the spare tire?

-Tim

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
cars with vdc do not have the fwd fuse to disable the rear wheels.

my 01 disables the VDC when you put that fuse in. but since you have a ''button'' for that you do not need the fuse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
canubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing