Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually lurk, but I thought this was something worth posting about.

The last few weeks, I was having a weird problem with my 05 2.5i w/ MT. In low gear and low speed, the car would buck and jerk when under normal load. I could even get it to buck whenever I was in third but going like 20-25mph. I thought maybe it was my clutch going out, but in 5th, I could floor it and the clutch didn't slip at all. The normal behavior expectation is that in any gear, if you're moving and the gear is too high for the speed, that the car just bogs down and doesn't go any faster (or goes faster very slowly), not a bucking sensation.

I read somewhere that spark plugs could potentially have a tie in to my problem so I decided to give replacing them a try. Sure enough, replacing the spark plugs cured my problem. No more bucking or jerking, or bad clutch feeling.

So, I just wanted to post this here so that if anyone else has a similar problem with jerking and their MT, that maybe they replace their spark plugs first.

Keywords: Buck, Bucking, Jerk, Jerking, Manual Transmission, Clutch Slip/Slipping

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
How many miles on the old plugs?

Was there any oil on the spark plug wire extensions (the part that goes down into the spark plug tube to connect to the plug) or on the spark plugs themselves?

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on the old plugs?

Was there any oil on the spark plug wire extensions (the part that goes down into the spark plug tube to connect to the plug) or on the spark plugs themselves?
Not sure on the age. Plugs may have been OEM (they were the FR5AP).

One of the plug boots had some oil on it. However, the others were clean (of oil that is).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts